New Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornflake

This one, I also missed in my exam.
1) The code permits cables that serve equipment in the ceiling area to be supported by:
l. The support wires for the suspended ceiling
ll. Raceways for the equipment in the area

A. l only
B. ll only
C. Both l and ll
D. Neither l or ll

I found in Art. 300.11 (B) where it talks about this but the wording is very confusing. My guess is B ll only but please let me know if I'm wrong or right. I've been studying way to long today and my mind is done for the day!
Thanks again guys. Any help will be greatly appreciated

mcclary's electrical

1) The code permits cables that serve equipment in the ceiling area to be supported by:

A. l only
B. ll only
C. Both l and ll
D. Neither l or ll

I found in Art. 300.11 (B) where it talks about this but the wording is very confusing. My guess is B ll only but please let me know if I'm wrong or right. I've been studying way to long today and my mind is done for the day!

Was the question any more specific when it asked "cables"? What kind of cables? would affect my answer

mcclary's electrical

A. l only
B. ll only
C. Both l and ll
D. Neither l or ll

Well, if I was forced to answer it by the limited information, I would pick (d) since it's the safest answer. (B) would only apply to low voltage cables. Like a HVAC guy tywrap a thermostat cable to my conduit feeding the unit

Cornflake

Well, if I was forced to answer it by the limited information, I would pick (d) since it's the safest answer. (B) would only apply to low voltage cables. Like a HVAC guy tywrap a thermostat cable to my conduit feeding the unit

That's what I answered on my exam and got it wrong. Art. 300.11 (B) states that you can use raceways to support cables but the question remains for the ceiling support wires as a support. For what I can understand in Art. 300.11 (A), you can't but that's where I need help understanding this.

mcclary's electrical

That's what I answered on my exam and got it wrong. Art. 300.11 (B) states that you can use raceways to support cables but the question remains for the ceiling support wires as a support. For what I can understand in Art. 300.11 (A), you can't but that's where I need help understanding this.

I didn't look in the code book, but I know you cannot use the ceiling support wires as support for any cabling.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Did you check this article

311(B) Raceways Used as Means of Support. Raceways shall be used only as a means of support for other raceways, cables, or nonelectrical equipment under any of the following conditions:
(1) Where the raceway or means of support is identified for the purpose
(2) Where the raceway contains power supply conductors for electrically controlled equipment and is used to support Class 2 circuit conductors or cables that are solely for the purpose of connection to the equipment control circuits
(3) Where the raceway is used to support boxes or conduit bodies in accordance with 314.23 or to support luminaires in accordance with 410.36(E)
(C) Cables Not Used as Means of Support. Cable wiring methods shall not be used as a means of support for other cables, raceways, or nonelectrical equipment.

cadpoint

You can't bring that bad a question to a crowd like this, and due to the poor nature of the question, I vote "C" for me and my SN, and my God given name.

Not that I'd do it, and truly not install it that way!

I would install it's own support in the OP's open ceiling and would run on any associated equipment.

But what I wouldn't do is run a bull rack of conduit or tray on any non associated equipment, and that include using just the ceiling own ties.

They like let one to install it here to tied to the ceiling but be supported independently!

I read 300.11 as allowing support wires that are installed in addition to the ceiling grid support wires shall be permitted as the sole support. Am I reading this wrong? I have seen single MC cables securred in this manner in rooms with few circuits.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As worded, I would answer "D" based on 300.11,770.24 & 800.24

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see a Class 2 control cable as "serving equipment" in the ceiling area. To me "serving" in this question means to supply power.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I don't see a Class 2 control cable as "serving equipment" in the ceiling area. To me "serving" in this question means to supply power.
Yet 'serve' could mean a control circuit. A matter of opnion whether it is a stretch or not. 'Serve' is not the same as 'supply', but as electrically biased individuals we tend to associate 'serve' with 'service' perhaps more weightily than others. ;)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
As worded, I would answer "D" based on 300.11,770.24 & 800.24

I take the OP's description of the question to be for an above ceiling area, not "exposed on the surface of ceilings", so 770.24 and 800.24 are out the window.

So now, how exactly does 300.11 NOT permit the cable to be supported by a raceway? It only has to be "identified for the purpose".

Let's run the answers remembering the exceptions:

A. I only. False because raceways are permited under 300.11(B)(1).

B. II only. False because support wires are permited under 300.11(A)(1) and (2) Exceptions.

C. Both I and II. True, see 300.11(B)(1) and 300.11(A)(1) and (2) Exceptions.

D. Neither I or II. False, see A and B above.

Perhaps I read too much into it, but the use of the word "only" makes choices A. and B. rigidly exclusive of all other supporting methods, so neither one can be correct. And even if we were hazy on the exceptions in 300.11(A), D. can't be true because raceways are permited. That leaves C. as the only answer, or so it seems to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.