New Refrigerator VS AFCI update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Fridge tripped the D.F. again . It ran for at least the 36 hours he was there to observe. He left came back for the weekend.. Fridge was tripped. He's trying an extension cord to an AFCI only this weekend . So far so good but, it has run for days before . This is so far beyond the practical safeguarding of the hazards associated with the use of electricity, that it should be scrubbed.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again for the proponents: both the math and the laws of physics say it is just not possible for the fridge to hold. Anything else is intellectual dishonesty.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I've said it before, and I'll say it again for the proponents: both the math and the laws of physics say it is just not possible for the fridge to hold. Anything else is intellectual dishonesty.
I know crap about the math. Can you give an explanation?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

So how do you explain the millions of homes that are installed with afci's on the refrigerator circuit without an issue. Your conspiracy concept of the nfpa is not only getting old but it is counter to what this forum is all about.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
So how do you explain the millions of homes that are installed with afci's on the refrigerator circuit without an issue. Your conspiracy concept of the nfpa is not only getting old but it is counter to what this forum is all about.

Lack of inverters in older fridges.

Physics is not a conspiracy. This is where the problem comes from in that theory is being ignored on the hopes probability will rule in its favor. When it does not, we get threads like this.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Dennis do you think afci’s work as advertised. I have witnessed 1 fault this year where an arc started on a receptacle and melted the hot in 2 and never tripped the Homeline AFCi .

Also had a couple of service calls where there is nothing wrong with the circuit installed but the afci’s just trip constantly. In one instance it didn’t like the fridge and I the other instance the customer didn’t want to pay me anymore to troubleshoot after I found 1 problem with bath fans but after I replaced those it still tripped.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis do you think afci’s work as advertised. I have witnessed 1 fault this year where an arc started on a receptacle and melted the hot in 2 and never tripped the Homeline AFCi .

Also had a couple of service calls where there is nothing wrong with the circuit installed but the afci’s just trip constantly. In one instance it didn’t like the fridge and I the other instance the customer didn’t want to pay me anymore to troubleshoot after I found 1 problem with bath fans but after I replaced those it still tripped.

In my experience afci's with certain motors is an issue especially with some a/c units. I can see refrigerators causing trouble just as vacuums, electronic equipment, etc cause problems. I suppose afci's do help but they create a nuisance no doubt.

I have had few afci circuits trip in my career but we never had to worry about kitchens in NC until the 2020 takes place... I know they can be a pita but to state that no refrigerator can run on afci's is just wrong.

I have had vacuums do the same and I just told the customer to plug into the kitchen circuits because they weren't afci protected. I must say I am glad to be retired...

Mdsparky

Occupation
electrician
So the cheap piece of crap high end Bosch has the ability to be observed from one's phone .. he connected with it so he'll be able to see when it trips . Its been running since yesterday mid morning on an AFCI . He leaves for primary home today .

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have heard adding extra lengths of wire in the panel reduces nuisance tripping if the circuit is short. But haven’t seen any hard evidence that this is true. Was the correct cord longer?
That makes sense as a number of people have reported success with reducing nuisance AFCI trips by using ferrite beads at the panel.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That makes sense as a number of people have reported success with reducing nuisance AFCI trips by using ferrite beads at the panel.
Two opposing thoughts:

If the beads work, why aren't they part of AFCIs?

Will they reduce the AFCIs' response to an arc?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Two opposing thoughts:

If the beads work, why aren't they part of AFCIs?

Will they reduce the AFCIs' response to an arc?
I knew the guy that came up with using ferrite beads to reduce the effects of interference on cables. When he first did, he was told they wouldn't work. As you can see, they did. They ended up on millions of devices over the years. Sadly, he passed away a few years back.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
When I had an issue years ago with afci, the ge troubleshooting hot line sent me ferrite filters to help with the tripping issue. One thing they warned about was they would not work on a circuit with dimmer switches.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I believe the filters would interfere with the dimmer function. Not sure but that was back when afci were fairly new

Status
Not open for further replies.