New Requirement 645.5(G)

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
645.5(G) Installed Supply Circuits and Interconnecting Cables Identified for Future Use.
(1) Supply circuits and interconnecting cables identified for future use shall be marked with a tag of sufficient durability to withstand the environment involved.
(2) Supply circuit tags and interconnecting cable tags shall have the following information:
a. Date identified for future use
b. Date of intended use
c. Information relating to the intended future use

Is it just me or does anyone find this new requirement to be kind of silly. I understand the problems with huge amount of abandoned cables under raised floors but does anyone think that this really going to be enforced as written?

ron

I've found that inspectors are looking under raised floor more recently. I'm not sure why, but maybe because of the code changes that have happened in article 645 in the last few cycles and called attention to the topic.
It was due to recent underfloor inspections that led to the 2008 clarification for cords below the raised floor and how they do not necessarily need to be DP rated.

So ... yes I think it will be enforced more than other underfloor sections have been enforced in previous years, and I think it will increase in interest going forward. Now every office as an IT equipment Room and the engineers are struggling with the optional nature of 645.

gndrod

Serious stuff

Serious stuff

infinity said:
Is it just me or does anyone find this new requirement to be kind of silly. I understand the problems with huge amount of abandoned cables under raised floors but does anyone think that this really going to be enforced as written?

The Tax Assessor might not think it silly if following what is happening for future construction work may bring in revenue for the jurisdiction. As things get tight down at town hall, those guys can get pretty creative. Just look at a permit and what they ask. (i.e. Tax parcel no., project sf, site size, and construction valuation in USD.)

I see where the BD is looking at other potential resources of including additional inpection fees. Panel schedules and load calcs are Electrical permit required for both plan check costs and building department scheduled involvement for 'technology surcharges' to be applied to a project. Big brother is here. IT has been under the inspection radar for a long time.
rbj

Status
Not open for further replies.