New service

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

From the '02
For application of this section, the main power feeder shall be the feeder(s) between the main disconnect and the lighting and appliance branch-circuit panelboard(s).
Note the parenthesis S's.... In the past the interpatation varied from this allowing the feeders of a multi-family to each unit, and depending on who you talked to, multiple feeders of a single family. The size reduction was/is allowed to accomadate diversity and the fact that it was the rare home that ever even reached 100% of the calculated load for the dwelling. So it mattered little if it was the whole house or two parts of the same IMO, both would rarely reach 100% of the calc'ed load for each respective feeder. That said, I am finding more and more often with the populatity of recessed cans, more & more electronic devices and higher wattage appliances that the "Calculated load" that we are allowed to do with the 3VA, 3K at 100%, remaining at 35% - is far too low.

Current interpations, via new wordings obviously don't allow multiple feeder reduction in size, but I fear the reduction of the main or only one feeder is in jeapardy in the future. Or, and this is more likely, that the resi load calcs changed to reflect the real world - of the Mc Mansion. I'm sure many of us have removed 30A services from back when they thought that was enough at the time.

Separate food for thought: What if the feeder was pararleled sets?????

Last edited:

e57

Here art. 310.15(B)(6)
Note there is still an "S" behind feeders in the portion that you put in bold....
the main power feeder shall be the feeder between the main disconnect and the panelboard that supplies, either by branch circuits or by feeders, or both, all loads that are part or associated with the dwelling unit.
Only the word panelboard is singular now....

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Separate food for thought: What if the feeder was paralleled sets?????
Does Table 310.15(B)(6) apply to paralleled conductors? If so, two sets of Al 4/0 conductors could be a 400 amp feeder to a gutter located above two 200 amp panelboards, and the feeder could be tapped with 3/0 Cu or 250 kcm Al to each panelboard? Perhaps the gutter size required for this configuration would make this impractical.

Cheers, Wayne

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Does Table 310.15(B)(6) apply to paralleled conductors? If so, two sets of Al 4/0 conductors could be a 400 amp feeder to a gutter located above two 200 amp panelboards, and the feeder could be tapped with 3/0 Cu or 250 kcm Al to each panelboard? Perhaps the gutter size required for this configuration would make this impractical.

Cheers, Wayne

Unfortunately Table (B)(6) or art.(B)(6) do not mention parallel conductors.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Parallel conductors, or multiple sets? I still see a typical 400A service as a grey area for 310.15(B)(6) if you have a meter where you split to two sets of service conductors each to a main breaker panel. These two sets of wires are Service Entrance conductors, so the definition of main power feeder does not apply.

The reason I says its grey is because I'm not convinced that the whoever wrote 310.15(B)(6) intended to allow two sets of service conductors to apply to that section.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
These two sets of wires are Service Entrance conductors, so the definition of main power feeder does not apply.
But, as Dennis just pointed out, parallel conductors are not included in the Table - so how would you configure a pair of panelboards with a single unparalleled set of conductors to feed them? Would you call them two 200A services and use two sets of conductors?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
They are not parallel conductors because they do not terminate at the same source and destination (nor likely meet other constraints as defined in 310.4). Following the terminology in article 230, I would call these multiple sets of service conductors.

For a truely parallel install of service conducotrs, I'm not sure how to interpret 310.15(B)(6) either. It avoids ampacity and says "service or feeder rating". So if you want a 400A service or 400A feeder, those size wires are allowed. So I would tend to agree that paralleled service conductors can't use 310.15(B)(6).

Because 310.15(B)(6) doesn't mention multiple sets to me doesn't mean it can't apply. The only constraint I now see is "Service rating". Just what is the service rating? I'm thinking it may be the whole service and not portions that are tapped off. So certainly the whole service can use 310.15(B)(6). Whether two sets each to a 200A panel have a "Service Rating" of 200A, I don't know.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm not 100% sure in the case of service conductors either.

230.80 would indicate we find the "service rating" by adding the handles together.

230.2 would indicate the two enclosures are considered one service.

Edit to add: I have submitted a proposal to clarify 310.15(B)(6) in the 2011. We'll see if they accept it this time. :)

Conductors shall be permitted to be connected to equipment rated according to Table 310.15(B)(6) when the installation complies with
all of the following conditions:
(a) The supply is a single phase, 120/240 Volt, 3 wire system.
(b) The conductors are installed for one-family, two-family, and multifamily dwellings.
(c) The conductors are either service laterals, service entrance conductors, or feeders.
(d) The conductors serve as the main power supply of an individual dwelling unit.
(e) If the conductors are a feeder, the feeder shall exist between the main disconnect and the panelboard that supplies 100% of the
load of the dwelling unit. This panelboard may supply that load either by branch circuits or by feeders, or both,

The feeder conductors to a dwelling unit shall not be required to have an allowable ampacity greater than their service entrance
conductors. The grounded conductor shall be permitted to be smaller than the ungrounded conductors, provided the requirements
of 215.2, 220.61, 230.42 are met.

4. Statement of Problem and Substantiation for Proposal: (Note: State the problem that would be resolved by your
recommendation; give the specific reason for your Proposal, including copies of tests, research papers, fire experience, etc. If more
than 200 words, it may be abstracted for publication.)

As the text currently stands, the first sentence of this section is very difficult to read, containing 56 words separated by no less than
nine commas. This section is packed with various requirements. It would be much clearer to understand, and more readily and
accurately applied in a list format. It is very easy to misapply this section as it currently stands. In addition: All circuits on the planet
have “either an equipment grounding conductor or no equipment grounding conductor”, so mentioning an EGC is just filler, unless the
panel is aware of a third option Iʼm missing. All chapter 3 wiring methods are either raceways or cables, so that language adds nothing
to this requirement either, and has been intentionally omitted. The term “main power feeder” hit the dumpster when grouped with
service conductors in list item (c) to reduce confusion. “All” was replaced by “100%” to strengthen the sentiment of the panel in the last
cycle. “...are part or associated with...” was not really necessary, in that the dwelling unit is what is diversifying our load - if a dwelling
unit serves an ancillary structure, it really has no bearing on the application of this section. Please accept this proposal at least in part,
as a list form will greatly clarify this section.

I just noticed that there should be a period, not a comma, after "both". :rolleyes:

Last edited:

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
That would do a lot to clean things up. As a software person, I don't find it difficult to write things in a way where the logic is deterministic, but you'll be getting it in FORTRAN or C style. With english, you can't always tell where the and's and or's apply.

If only there was a compiler for the NEC to catch the stupid redundant language and the non-deterministic words... I remember reading a proposal last time that said "with or without ground" was redundant. They panel didn't seem to get that, and I don't know why. "With and without" cover all permutations.

Status
Not open for further replies.