New Single Phase 1000 amp GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
When 250.66 tells you to. (A) through (C). (A) for rod, pipe and plate electrodes; (B) is for concrete encased electrodes; and (C) is for ground rings. For other electrodes you use table 250.66

250.66 Size of Alternating-Current Grounding Electrode Conductor. The size of the grounding electrode conductor at the service, at each building or structure where supplied by a feeder(s) or branch circuit(s), or at a separately derived system of a grounded or ungrounded ac system shall not be less than given in Table 250.66, except as permitted in 250.66(A) through (C).
Those sections also only apply to a length of conductor that is sole connection to those types of electrodes as well. If you have water pipe electrode and a CEE you could run a T250.66 conductor to the water pipe and the run 4 AWG bonding jumper to go to the CEE. But if you were to run to the CEE first then run to the water pipe you would need a full size from table conductor to the CEE.

Water pipe and building steel are basically about the only things you must run full size in the table to , most everything else can have something smaller than what is in the table as the sole connection to it.

iustacould

Occupation
Lead Electrical Contractor
Nice work, :cool:
but your wireways above and below are in the required working space of those disconnects.

I would normally agree but since these troughs are part of the electrical distribution system (associated) according to 110.26(A)(3), I am allowed to have them above or below so long as the equipment doesn't extend more than 6" beyond the front of the disco's. From the face of the lockable cover to the face of the trough is 5 and 5/8 inches. I've put these types of service systems together on smaller scales before and never had an issue, however, if I am interpreting the 2017 code wrong please advise so I can make the necessary changes to comply! Thanks!!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would normally agree but since these troughs are part of the electrical distribution system (associated) according to 110.26(A)(3), I am allowed to have them above or below so long as the equipment doesn't extend more than 6" beyond the front of the disco's. From the face of the lockable cover to the face of the trough is 5 and 5/8 inches. I've put these types of service systems together on smaller scales before and never had an issue, however, if I am interpreting the 2017 code wrong please advise so I can make the necessary changes to comply! Thanks!!!
You're correct you're allowed up to 6" of encroachment, from the photo's it appears to be more than that but since you have 5 5/8" you're good!

Status
Not open for further replies.