New to C1D1 regulations, what types of cabling are required???

Status
Not open for further replies.
We currently use armored cable in our application for C1D1 locations. We have trouble with the bending radius of this style cable inside of our relatively compact machines. What options do I have for a more flexible cable??

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
We currently use armored cable in our application for C1D1 locations. We have trouble with the bending radius of this style cable inside of our relatively compact machines. What options do I have for a more flexible cable??
I don't like answering threads like this; they tend to lead to too much speculation from lack of knowledge of the actual installations involved.

First, I would have been a bit (only a bit) more comfortable if you had described the "armored cable" as MC-HL. That would have at least given me some confidence that there was a knowledgeable person behind the question. (You already acknowledged you?re new to Class I, Division1)

That said, begin in Section 501.10(A)(2); it will lead you to Section 501.140. Be VERY careful that your application is one listed in Subsections 501.140(A)(1) through(5). To be honest, your current description isn?t too promising.

I don't like answering threads like this; they tend to lead to too much speculation from lack of knowledge of the actual installations involved.

First, I would have been a bit (only a bit) more comfortable if you had described the "armored cable" as MC-HL. That would have at least given me some confidence that there was a knowledgeable person behind the question. (You already acknowledged you?re new to Class I, Division1)

That said, begin in Section 501.10(A)(2); it will lead you to Section 501.140. Be VERY careful that your application is one listed in Subsections 501.140(A)(1) through(5). To be honest, your current description isn?t too promising.

No need to be rude, I'm an Electrical engineer with 10 years experience so you can't tell me I'm not knowledgeable, this is my first real experience with C1D1 which is the exact reason I'm asking questions. If you expect any normal person or even engineer to understand the NEC articles, some expert knowledge like your own is helpful. Obviously, you knew what I was talking about when I said armored cable, so there is no need for the down-talk. A simple answer would have sufficed. I'm using this forum as a tool and just as that, if the tool doesn't help sufficiently then what is the purpose??

My simply stated question was just that..... simple. I'm just looking for different cable options, if possible. We currently are using an armored cable, type MC-HL. As stated originally, we have trouble with the bending radius fitting easily inside of our product. We build solvent distillers. We also have used a Marine Grade cable in the past (long before my day here in employment), this was a Type-P and Type P/CPE cable. It is nice and flexible and would work in our application much better. But as far as I can see, it looks like the MC-HL is our only option. I appreciate any help received but would prefer to be treated with the same respect given.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I'm genuinely sorry, I didn't mean to be rude; I meant to be blunt. I'm pretty liberal with Division 2, but Class I, Division 1, isn't trivial.

As I mentioned Section 501.140 will tell you what you need to know about permitted uses of flexible cables in Class I and, as far as I can tell, your application doesn't qualify. You may try to approach it from Section 500.8(A)(3).

BTW marine cable has never been acceptabe.

Status
Not open for further replies.