New Voice and Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim3394

So I am an industrial guy doing some data work and I have not done so since my apprenticeship. Ran 9 drops of 4 cat5e. 2 for 4 line phone system and 2 for Data. My question is, should I use 8 wire jacks for phone and terminate at 568a or should I use 6 wire jacks. If 6 wire is the suggestion, should I terminate as suggested on keystone? Thanks for your help

Jim B.

hurk27

So I am an industrial guy doing some data work and I have not done so since my apprenticeship. Ran 9 drops of 4 cat5e. 2 for 4 line phone system and 2 for Data. My question is, should I use 8 wire jacks for phone and terminate at 568a or should I use 6 wire jacks. If 6 wire is the suggestion, should I terminate as suggested on keystone? Thanks for your help

Jim B.

It will depend upon what phone system is in use, if these are multi-line office phones self networking some require all 4 pairs and a cat 5 (8 wire 568a) jack to be used, if the phones are networked then it too also requires all 4 pairs, the unused pairs will function as off hook or line on hold indicators, or phone to phone intercom if so equipped. but like I said it will depend upon which phone system is used, I put a few self networked Southwestern Bell phones in and they did require the 8 wire 568a jacks, but also would use 2 4 wire (6P4C) jacks also with L1 and L2 on the first jack and L3 and L4 on the second jack.

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
but also would use 2 4 wire (6P4C) jacks also with L1 and L2 on the first jack and L3 and L4 on the second jack.

That's exactly how I just did a small office needing 4 lines. First job I've done phone/data on too.....

Found a small transmitter/receiver setup at HD that tests phone/data wiring to make sure it didn't get crossed up, etc. Well worth the money!! I want to say it was made by Ideal...

cadpoint

I'm just throwing out a major parts manfacture, you can read all about other's statements with use of exact parts that were made in their own post statements here at leviton.com.

Type phone in the search once there! it'll give you
All Results (1670) Product results (183) Document Results (1420)

I second the notion that it depends on the phone system. If unknown system, then use Cat 5 jacks, even though this could be a problem with 4-conductor cables wiggling in the bigger jack, you can always change the jacks, later. Back in the closet, punch down all conductors in whatever sequence makes the most sense! For ex., if you have completely separate phone and LAN systems, then use separated blocks for each and use 568B for LAN and USOC for phones. If the systems are merged (ie, that C*sco IP crap), then use 568B for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.