New York City Licensing

naplespete57

Occupation
Project Manager in Conveyor Industry
Would like to get licensed so that I could permit a job in New York City. Is there any reciprocal arrangements with other jurisdictions? Is anyone aware of a way to fast track this process?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No and no. You first have to take the written NYC master electricians exam and if you pass them you need to take the practical exam. The process can take months not to mention the test is closed book so you'll probably need a prep class to pass.

I live in upstate NY. I had an Albany (the CAPITAL of the state) city license for years, and two other state licenses. The Albany license reciprocates with most other upstate jurisdictions, but down state it totally different and they don't want anything to do with me. It's dumb.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Years ago I talked with a licensed electrician who said that most states have reciprocal agreements with 3 exceptions: Florida, because of hurricanes; California, because of earthquakes; and NYC, because they're ornery.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Years ago I talked with a licensed electrician who said that most states have reciprocal agreements with 3 exceptions: Florida, because of hurricanes; California, because of earthquakes; and NYC, because they're ornery.
California is because of the c10 exception. I see it often that an "electrican" from there ends up either changing trades or starting over completely even though they have lots of experience.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

Florida doesn’t “reciprocate” in the traditional sense, but they recognize the exams of several other states (including California) for endorsement to obtain a florida license without sitting for a test. There are no electrical codes related to hurricanes in Florida that I’m aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk