Newbie with a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

newlearner

Doing this experiment and have to connect a vacuum cleaner circuit with extra attachment. (Also had to add a light and a switch but, that is straightforward) This means there are two universal motors being used and two sets of field windings. During this whole lab, everything was connected in series so I'm thinking that is the way I would accomplish this. I'm second guessing myself now though. I'm thinking if I connect the motors in series, I will have 60 volts dropped across each one. I'm thinking I need to wire that in parallel so it will have the full 120 volts. Can someone set me straight?

Attachments

• vaccircuit.jpg
    vaccircuit.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 0

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
The way your drawing shows is correct. The main and attachment motors are in parallel with the fields and armature of each motor in series, with the light in parallel with all of it.

Close Main Switch and both the main and attachment come on, across the line, close the Light switch and on comes the light.

If you follow each out you will see that neither the main nor the attachment go through each other, or draw it as a ladder.

Last edited:

newlearner

The way your drawing shows is correct. The main and attachment motors are in parallel with the fields and armature of each motor in series, with the light in parallel with all of it.

Close Main Switch and both the main and attachment come on, across the line, close the Light switch and on comes the light.

If you follow each out you will see that neither the main nor the attachment go through each other, or draw it as a ladder.

Thank you very much Rich. Now that I follow it like you explained to do, I see what you mean. It's all in how I was looking at it. For some reason I was seeing it as one armature down to the next but, the main power switch does connect to both. (which I should know since I drew it in the first place)

I need to learn how to follow these types of drawings better. This one is fairly simple. I've seen some that are complex. I've heard and seen a little bit of this ladder stuff but, have had no experience working with it.

Are there any good videos that you know of to teach you the basics of drawing and/or following these things? Like something that assumes you know nothing? I'm looking on youtube. I do see some software called koldwater training that looks kind of neat. When the fall semester rolls around, I plan on taking motor controls so I would hope they will start from the basics there but, I'd feel better if I knew as much as I could beforehand.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
here is a link to a you tube video--It's a bit involved but does get the idea across--You tube and google are your friends--sometimes

It is just putting a vertical line on both sides of the paper and connecting your stuff in between, i.e.,

Go from the plug to the main switch then keep going till you reach the other side of the circuit

newlearner

here is a link to a you tube video--It's a bit involved but does get the idea across--You tube and google are your friends--sometimes

It is just putting a vertical line on both sides of the paper and connecting your stuff in between, i.e.,

Go from the plug to the main switch then keep going till you reach the other side of the circuit

I think you forgot the link.:) I am currently looking at youtube stuff. Just kind of looking for one that starts from step 1

Last edited:

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Loads in parallel

Loads in parallel

99 % of the time your loads are in parallel, but the controlend (switches, relay contacts, overloads....) can be in either series orparallel. Keep trying, get a bell transformer, a few butttons and a bell, buzzer, and light and go to town

kwired

Electron manager
Thank you very much Rich. Now that I follow it like you explained to do, I see what you mean. It's all in how I was looking at it. For some reason I was seeing it as one armature down to the next but, the main power switch does connect to both. (which I should know since I drew it in the first place)

I need to learn how to follow these types of drawings better. This one is fairly simple. I've seen some that are complex. I've heard and seen a little bit of this ladder stuff but, have had no experience working with it.

Are there any good videos that you know of to teach you the basics of drawing and/or following these things? Like something that assumes you know nothing? I'm looking on youtube. I do see some software called koldwater training that looks kind of neat. When the fall semester rolls around, I plan on taking motor controls so I would hope they will start from the basics there but, I'd feel better if I knew as much as I could beforehand.

I was considering drawing your vacuum with ladder logic but decided it was faster to post a link to some ladder diagrams

https://www.google.com/search?q=lad...0ahUKEwjX4ILr5bjLAhVmuoMKHX6pDyIQsAQILw&dpr=1

Note what is different from your diagram and is consistent in most of what is in the link I posted is that the two ladder "rails" are the two source conductors (in the simplest diagrams anyway). Each "rung" of the ladder typically has a load - usually near the right side of the rung, and the logic components that may energize the load of that rung are arranged in the logical order that they are physically connected in.

This type of diagram makes the logic of the circuit easy to see, but doesn't ordinarily give you much for indication of the physical location of any of the components.

Your diagram is arranged in similar configuration of the physical layout of those components on the actual machine, which can have advantages at times or the logic approach that goes with a ladder diagram can sometimes be more convenient when troubleshooting something.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hey thanks a lot for all of this stuff. You guys are awesome. I do see how the ladder diagram sorts things out and makes it easier to see.

a ladder diagram is how most of us plan most things we need to make work.

so if you become accustomed to looking at control logic that way, you'll be
in a good spot to communicate with the rest of the world.

dynamic control is switches operating coils, and coils operating switches.
there is movement involved in the control process.

static control (plc's) each rung of the ladder diagram becomes a logic statement,
true or false. true gets an output of 1, false gets an output of 0.
static control is not a continuity path like dynamic control, it is a logic statement.

your primary control statements are... and, or, not, memory, and delay. with
those, you can do most things you run across that you need to make work.

have fun.

newlearner

Thank you. When I go to take motor controls next semester, I will have a "primer" so to speak. I'm going to keep looking at this stuff so that I can be prepared and not looking at an intimidating jigsaw puzzle. I appreciate all the responses I get here.

newlearner

Thank you. When I go to take motor controls next semester, I will have a "primer" so to speak. I'm going to keep looking at this stuff so that I can be prepared and not looking at an intimidating jigsaw puzzle. I appreciate all the responses I get here.

Just thought I'd update this. I only have my written final left in Motor control. Got 100% on the lab final. I have learned a ton and, have enjoyed it as well. Total grade right now is 98.3%

PLC class up next in January.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I've used the Koldwater training, its not bad

newlearner

Thanks a lot guys. I've really enjoyed the challenges. I look forward to PLC. I think it's going to be awesome. I've begun watching videos about it already. I want to do everything I can to get proficient with programming and troubleshooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.