Nfpa 59a

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekro

Please kindly tell me what is the connection between NFPA 59A standard and NEC 500 for plants installed in hazardous locations.
Second question: is there any electrical competence for NFPA 59A Standard, in hazardous location or shall I manufacture the plant in conformity with NEC 500?

muskiedog

So you are going to be producing LNG

So you are going to be producing LNG

Standard for the Production, Storage, and Handling of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).

I would say you will follow both and then more. There are additional NFPA standards referenced in NEC 500 depending on what all you are going to be doing.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It is important to understand that neither NFPA 59A nor the NEC are equipment design standards. NFPA 59A is basically a plant facility design, operations, and maintenance standard. The NEC is primarily an equipment installation/application standard with some system design elements. They also have some elements that affect equipment manufacture, but the details are included in ?Product Standards? developed by other organizations such as NEMA or UL.

NFPA 59A relates to the NEC by internal reference to it for electrical equipment installation practices. It also specifies electrical area classification requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.