NFPA 70E and 120v ppe

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmiller321

what's the requirement for wearing ppe when working with receptacles and switches that are live 130.2(c) it lists the restricted and prohibited approach as avoid contact from 50 to 300v is any ppe required

billsnuff

if you haven't done an arc flash study, see 130.7(C)(9)(a) and 130.7(C)(11)
for starters. (re: V rated gloves, shoes, face shield, cotton underwear, long sleeve shirt [cotton or FR), V rated tools, Cat #2, 3, or #4 meter)

zog pick up the phone...........

zog

rmiller321 said:
what's the requirement for wearing ppe when working with receptacles and switches that are live 130.2(c) it lists the restricted and prohibited approach as avoid contact from 50 to 300v is any ppe required

(Ring, hello)

Now your question is refering to shock protection, inside the RAB (In this case touching the wires) requires gloves rated for that voltage. The tables in 70E will give you the arc flash PPE requirements, in this case, probally HRC 0 (assuming your fault currents are low enough).

The REAL question here is how are you justifing doing live work? There is a 99% chance that you cant justify doing this work live. (see article 130.1 of 2004 70E)

mattsilkwood

ive had this same question. its my understanding if you get into a panel that is dead you have to wear ppe untill you verify that it is dead. so would this apply to device, j-boxes, rtu's and such. i go for a training program saturday and im trying to make a list of questions.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
There are no IEEE 1584 equations that can be used to determine arc flash incident energy on single phase circuits. In general, your only choice for selecting PPE is to use the task tables 130.7(C)(9)(a).

electricalperson

im no expert on the rules of 70e but i really hate it when people try to make me change devices live. for an example. i had to change a 277 volt switch live as a 2nd year apprentice. i asked if i can shut the circuit breaker off and they said no (they meaning my boss at the time). the breaker was feeding bathroom lighting in a rec center. how long would the lights be off for? 5 minutes? 5 minutes of no light was obviously more important than my life. i would NEVER work on 277v live again nor would i make my new apprentice do the same. it takes 10 minutes to find a breaker and shut it off that 10 minutes can save your life. just because were electricians doesnt mean we are shock proof.

plus its faster to change out a device when theres no power :)

Status
Not open for further replies.