NFPA 70E PPE requirement compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of organizing and rewriting my company's Electrical Safety Program. We are a large Electrical Contractor. I have, as some of you can imagine, run into a signifcant amount of resistance to implementing the PPE requirements for testing and troubleshooting activities. These are the regular activities that occur as a project is being completed and the system voltages are being tested (proofed) at every switchboard, distribution board, panelboard and outlet throughout a facility.
What I need is statistical eveidence (does not need to be gov. agency info, but can be industry) about the rate (number) and level of compliance within the electrical construction industry.
Any guidance, info or links to data location would be greatly appreciated.
This is my first post to the Forum and I am looking forward to future interactions with members. Thanks.
Dave

requirement compliance, continued

requirement compliance, continued

Zog, Thanks. Actually it's not a matter of knowledge about the subject, as far as I'm concerned. What I am looking for is statistical construction industry data that can help me convince my superiors that:
1. Others see this issue as important as I do.
2. What the others (contractors, both large and medium/small) are doing about using software packages, to do Arc Flash Calculations, when the tables just won't do. (Which to me is often especially within hospitals and other critical service installations where they need to comply with 700.27 and 701.18)
3. If they are developing a company policy for the point of complying or are they actually instilling this mindset change as culture, training for it and enforcing it.
4. The main sticking point for them seems to be complying with the PPE requirements when testing, during the initial start up process of completing a construction project. The way they see it is that it doesn't apply to this process. Now I do not agree with that notion and am pushing hard to convince them that the requirement does apply, hence the need for data about other contractors and what they are doing.

And while were on this subject: What labeling requirments do you think apply to original installers? The way that the 70E reads it seems applicable to those who operate establishments not original installers.

wrgeer

Your saftey department will need to work with you to establish your SOP.
I am required to wear arc flash PPE to verify all phases are denergized on the disconnect breaker etc. (cant just assume all are denergized) as per our policy and safety stands behind this 110% and im glad. The PPE isnt that costly or hindering for mostly its below 600 V and when energizing or dealing with the 4k or 12k wouldnt think of not using Ive seen the inside of our switches when they blew. I see it as if no one gets burned its worth the hassle and expense its the cost of doing business these days. Ive only been licensed for 16 years but do remember when there wasnt Arc Flash Policy. There are some convincing pics in the safety forum that should convince any management person for the need to have this and technician to wear it. I have a family I love to come home to..............

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... The PPE isnt that costly or hindering for mostly its below 600 V and when energizing or dealing with the 4k or 12k wouldnt think of not using Ive seen the inside of our switches when they blew. ...
Many times the incident energy and level of arc flash PPE that is required is greater on the 480 volt system than it is on the higher voltage systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.