NFPA 70E testing with TIC tracer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I write Methods of procedure for maintenance work. I prefere to use a tic tracer on a non conductive extension pole to check for the presence of voltage while keeping a safe distance from the potentially energized parts. Lately this has come under scrutiny quoting 70E requirement for phase to phase and phase to ground measurments. I use a meter as a secondary test to verify zero volts but have always felt that the tic tracer was an acceptable way to keep preliminary testing distance. Any documentation available either way?

wtucker

I can tell you that OSHA uses tic tracers on non-conductive poles. I'm surprised that it works--I thought tic tracers required a capacitative path to ground.

mcclary's electrical

I can tell you that OSHA uses tic tracers on non-conductive poles. I'm surprised that it works--I thought tic tracers required a capacitative path to ground.

My Greenlee GT 11 works without touching it. You can stick it in a receptacle and walk to the panel and find the brfeaker. It's loud enough, and I have tuned my ears to the sound it makes, I can hear it several rooms away, even on a different floor if the house is quiet

I have wondered the same thing about tic tracers and NFPA-70E.

From a practical perspective tic tracers work by detecting fluctuations in the magnetic fields around electrical conductors. I don't know how this could possibly be referenced to ground. It also means that they are incapable of detecting DC. If you're only using them on lines, it's ok, but if you get into switchgear or starters there is often hazardous DC present that won't be detected by the tic tracer.

zog

You are thinking of a different type of detector, tic tracer is a brand name that gets applied to different devices. You are think of a capacitive voltage sensor that often gets wrongly refered to as a tic tracer. Here is the priciple of operation.

Attachments

• Prox voltage detector operation.pdf
    8.5 KB · Views: 2

zog

I have wondered the same thing about tic tracers and NFPA-70E.

From a practical perspective tic tracers work by detecting fluctuations in the magnetic fields around electrical conductors. I don't know how this could possibly be referenced to ground. It also means that they are incapable of detecting DC. If you're only using them on lines, it's ok, but if you get into switchgear or starters there is often hazardous DC present that won't be detected by the tic tracer.

Exactly correct, they also can indicate there is no voltage when testing on 3 phase systems where the conductors are close together as the 3 phases magnetic fields (120 degrees apart) cancel each other out.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
My Greenlee GT 11 works without touching it. You can stick it in a receptacle and walk to the panel and find the brfeaker. It's loud enough, and I have tuned my ears to the sound it makes, I can hear it several rooms away, even on a different floor if the house is quiet

Tamper resistant receptacles have made that a lot more fun now!:roll:

shepelec

I use a tick tracer and a pen tester for intial testing. The pen testers are great for trouble shooting, but I would never trust my life with one.

Tick it then meter it.:cool:

marti smith

I have given many away as gifts to other trades (I know, I know, scrutiny right around the corner) but I tell them, this is yours, this is how you use it: if it comes on, you need to find me and I will shut the circuit off. Zog, that was a great link- I'm not a great explanationist so I printed it for my apprentice, thanks.

zog

I use a tick tracer and a pen tester for intial testing. The pen testers are great for trouble shooting, but I would never trust my life with one.

Tick it then meter it.:cool:

That is the best way to do it. My theory has always been if I will be touching it, use a contact type meter, and do a live-dead-live test on it of course.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

Ditto, so does mine, but......

I have also seen it not indicate a live circuit unless I was holding it.

I wouldn't trust it on a stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.