NFPA 79 Wire Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfalcon

Not strictly the NEC but ...

Section 13.2 Identification of Conductors

Two issues in particular have raised eyebrows in our facility.

13.2.4.1: Yellow for remotely energized conductors has been replaced by Orange that was used for High Leg.

13.2.4.3(1): Black must be used for all ac or dc power regardless of voltage. So tapping off my 120VAC single phase power supply can no longer be Red in a panel. And tapping off my 24VDC power supply can no longer be Blue in a panel.

Section 9 Control Circuits and Control Functions
Except of course 13.2.4.3(2) Red and 13.2.4.3(3) Blue when my power supply is used for controls only.

davidr43229

Section 13.2 Identification of Conductors

Two issues in particular have raised eyebrows in our facility.

13.2.4.1: Yellow for remotely energized conductors has been replaced by Orange that was used for High Leg.

13.2.4.3(1): Black must be used for all ac or dc power regardless of voltage. So tapping off my 120VAC single phase power supply can no longer be Red in a panel. And tapping off my 24VDC power supply can no longer be Blue in a panel.

Section 9 Control Circuits and Control Functions
Except of course 13.2.4.3(2) Red and 13.2.4.3(3) Blue when my power supply is used for controls only.

I have the ROC copy of the NFPA-79 (2006) and I do not find that.
It does say Black for all Power conductors
Red for ungrounded AC control
Blue for ungrounded DC control.
Under 13.2.4.1 is does say orange, shall be used to identify ungrounded conductors that remain energized when the main supply circuit disconnecting means is in the off position. Yellow is "lined" through (ROP-79-126)
Just my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.