NFPA Free Access Error Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

Does anyone get the below when trying to acccess the NFPA free online access?
And/ or know how to alleviate it? I've shut down all antivirus, firewalls, browser security, java security, etc. all to no avail.
thanks.

application blocked.JPG

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
This question was asked and answered in another thread. Including, I think, the same error dialog box.
You need to trust the rrdocs.NFPA.org domain.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
On a Windows platform, it is also controlled (sometimes for other browsers, not just IE) by settings made in the Tools/Internet Options area of IE.
It's a possibility, but I'm inclined to believe the particular message mgookin got is the one initiated by Java...

I'm on an 8.1 computer that I have not accessed the online Code from before. Other than security options changed with having Norton 360 installed and my homepage, my Internet Options are still operating under all the other default settings. Trying to access the online version, the window actually opens to the main domain www.nfpa.org and advertisements are displayed. I get the same message as mgookin when the Java applet starts to run in the window, not when the window opens. So the sub-domain "rrdocs.nfpa.org" is not called until the java applet starts.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This was the response I got from NFPA a few months ago and it worked fine :

This is a reply to your request for support for NFC Free Access (Real Read).

If you are using a PC and are experiencing problems accessing the NFPA Codes using Real Read, please try the following:

1. Sometimes there are multiple versions of java on the same machine. Go to the Control Panel, Programs and Features and see if there are multiple versions. You can uninstall each one from the Control Panel then go to www.java.com and install a clean copy. You may also need to close and reopen the browser during these steps.

2. If Java security is set to High the java applet needed to open the NFPA codes will not load. To lower security:

Go to Control Panel
Make sure you are on Icon View (top right corner of screen)
Select the Java icon
Go to the Security Tab
Set Security to Medium or Low

Sign out of NFPA
Close IE
Reopen IE
Sign in to NFPA
Try the codes again.

3. Add *.nfpa.org to your trusted sites in your browser

4. Try adding http://rrdocs.nfpa.org to the Java Control Panel exception Site List

5. Try a different browser, for example Chrome or Firefox

6. Test Java at:

http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

7. Find out if JAR files are being blocked by a proxy server, antivirus or firewall from *.nfpa.org

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.