NFPA Membership Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Depends on how much NFPA material you will purchase. Just one or two codes and it likely isn't going to pay back all that much. You can impress those that don't know any better with the fact you are a member though by mentioning it on advertising, business cards, etc.

JoeStillman

Is anyone a member of NFPA? Is it worth the membership to get the extra discounts on NEC material?

I am a member. As MEP consulting engineers, we buy a lot of codes here in my office; sprinklers (13), Fire Pumps (20) HVAC (90), FA (72), NEC (70), Workplace Safety (70E) etc. There should be at least one member in your office. Why not you? The company should pay your dues for you if you are sealing drawings.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am a member. As MEP consulting engineers, we buy a lot of codes here in my office; sprinklers (13), Fire Pumps (20) HVAC (90), FA (72), NEC (70), Workplace Safety (70E) etc. There should be at least one member in your office. Why not you? The company should pay your dues for you if you are sealing drawings.

Same here. We have multiple offices and have the codes online. I'm not sure how it's structured, but keeping up with all the NFPA codes and standards we use for each office would be much more than the cost of our corporate membership. However, if the ONLY thing you use is the NEC, maybe not so much. The annual online code subscription is $1,450 and membership is $175. You get 10% off your purchases so you need to buy $1,750 per year to break even.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
One other advantage is, if you are a member and attend the annual meetings, you can vote on the changes to the codes.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Something tells me that is not the same as being a CMP member for any individual code they publish. What exactly do you get to vote on?
The actual adoption of the code and on any of the certified motions. In general the code is always adopted, but the CMP often loses on the motion votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.