Nicet Fire Alarm Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnCA

Hello everybody,
This is my first post, apologies if it is not in the right section. I would like to know if anybody here is NICET fire alarm certified. I am a level I certified and debating if I should continue towards Level 4. What is your take on this subject. Do you think it is waste of time or it is becoming a requirement in the Fire Alarm industry.

Thanks,
John

dhalleron

I was certified as NICET II in Fire Alarm Systems in 1995 or so. Made it to Level IV around 2002.

I don't think it's a waste of time. Many specifications require NICET certified installers, supervisors and designers.

If you are working in the fire alarm field I would recommend you work on getting higher levels.

ron

I agree with Dale.

Many specifications require the fire alarm shop drawings be made by a NICET IV and the field terminations by a NICET II or higher.

BTW, I was only a II before I abandoned the process to get my PE.

JohnCA

Thanks Guys,

I do not see much specified in my area, I guess it will eventually get here.
Ron, I am debating the exact thing, should I put my efforts toward PE or NICET (at this pint in my life it is hard for me to go into both) my brain is not cooperating any more :) I hear PE is really hard.
Any resources online to help you study for NICET.

Thanks.

nhfire77

I'm level III, and would be IV if it wasn't for that pesky 10 year minimum.

Nicet is worth every penny and brain cramp. It's the national trend for any FA work beyond a small small system where the AHJ has no idea/doesn't care. Either it's a license or job spec thing as mentioned before.

IMO I/II testing is not hard if you are doing the work daily and know how to read code books. III/IV requires more in depth critical thinking and interpersonal skills. I found the application process more challenging than I/II.

National training center has a good basic prep for the test procedure. You need a firm grip on how NFPA/ICC codes are written to be successful.

JohnCA

IMO I/II testing is not hard if you are doing the work daily and know how to read code books. III/IV requires more in depth critical thinking and interpersonal skills. I found the application process more challenging than I/II.

National training center has a good basic prep for the test procedure. You need a firm grip on how NFPA/ICC codes are written to be successful.

it has been a while since I got my Level I, and i see that the procedure has been changed a little. I am pretty much involved in the fire alarm on a daily basis from design to drawing and final programming. I guess it is time to go back to study :thumbsdown:. I will check the the national training center.

Thanks
John

JohnCA

I was hoping to find free resources online. between fees, books and study courses, things are adding up, finances are little tight at this moment.

Did anybody took the exam just by studying the code books.?

I will study by using the books that are already available from current employment. I am planing to obtain level II & III within 3 to 6 month, then work towards Level IV. do you guys think this is realistic time frame? keeping in mind that I have a family and employed full time.

Thanks,
John.

nhfire77

If you already have a firm grasp on the code, you should focus on getting the required paperwork together, then you can schedule the test. That could take you a month.

The NTC program was great for test taking strategy. They certainly focused on self study, but the test is open book. Its not how much you have trapped in your head, but how fast you can find it. The non code questions may be the challenging part. There is always 2-3 first aid questions (all 3 tests I took had questions on recognizing shock (hypovolemic shock, medically speaking) and heat stroke. Several trade and/or management conflict questions as well. Oh and a couple of algebra questions too (not calculus).

It wasn't all right/wrong but choose the 'best' one. NICET has a list of the texts they get their questions from, other than the code books. Try finding that list and take a look, don't be overwhelmed with the topics I just listed. They're were mostly common sense, which is getting to be a rare commodity these days.

JohnCA

They're were mostly common sense, which is getting to be a rare commodity these days.
LoL I could'nt agrre more on this one.

I am really surprised about the lack of help and resources that pertains to our industry and specially the certification side of it. What I have decided is to start a blog (yes I am also a part time computer geek :happyyes:), basically to document my journey towards obtaining my certifications(NICET & PE) and at the same time post my study notes in one place so I can access it anytime from anywhere, also to be a resource for anybody who wants to take the exams. it will probably end up being a discussion and a learning place dedicated to our industry.

Thanks,
John.

nhfire77

LoL I could'nt agrre more on this one.

I am really surprised about the lack of help and resources that pertains to our industry and specially the certification side of it. What I have decided is to start a blog (yes I am also a part time computer geek :happyyes:), basically to document my journey towards obtaining my certifications(NICET & PE) and at the same time post my study notes in one place so I can access it anytime from anywhere, also to be a resource for anybody who wants to take the exams. it will probably end up being a discussion and a learning place dedicated to our industry.

Thanks,
John.

This guy has something similar :http://http://www.firealarmsonline.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.