NITEL T1 LINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

Does any body know how this form of internet works, ( NITEL T1 LINE )?
We have a place that still uses dial up. We are required to have a ground line for internet for business. Obviously we want it to be high speed.

The salesman said NITEL will give 1.5 MG Bites per second. Is that good?

They want three hundred a month and a minimum 3 year contract to install it.
It's a lake home way out on the tip of a peninsula.

Rampage_Rick

Yes a T1 will give you 1.536 Mbps each way. It's actually made up of 24 channels of 64 kbps each so it's possible to get a "fractional T1" anywhere between 64 kbps and 1.536 Mbps.

Is it good? Well 1.5 Mbps is way better than dialup (at least 30x faster than the best dialup) but keep in mind that 1.5 Mbps is what I had for broadband internet back in 2001. Certainly no comparison to the current offerings around 10-25 Mbps on cable or DSL. Heck, I get about 8 Mbps on my cell phone without LTE.

*edit to add* If there's cell service maybe you should look at getting an LTE smart hub/rocket hub?

Last edited:
Taking this in parts-
NITEL is an ISP, so they provide Internet connections (had to look them up).

A "T-1" line is exactly 1.544 mbps each way (B8ZS/ESF coding, or 1.536 with AMI/SF coding), usually provisioned over raw two pairs or on a single HDSL pair with a practical max of maybe 12k ft without mid-span repeaters (can extent for miles then, cost=$$). The line can channelized to 24 voice channels, but for Internet usually isn't. (And to really lay it on, T-1 is the physical and electrical spec, DS1 is the format/framing of the bits; sort of like that CAT5 is the wire, 100baseT is signals, and Ethernet is the framing/format.)

Is that a good speed? Well, if all you have is dial-up....

The T-1 usually needs telco engineering support to provision, especially for distances, but also has a much higher SLA than DSL does (a hold-over for it's days of carrying voice).

Do you really need a wired line? For those prices, I'd look to a good cell extender or find a land-based radio Internet provider.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Does any body know how this form of internet works, ( NITEL T1 LINE )?
We have a place that still uses dial up. We are required to have a ground line for internet for business. Obviously we want it to be high speed.

The salesman said NITEL will give 1.5 MG Bites per second. Is that good?

They want three hundred a month and a minimum 3 year contract to install it.
It's a lake home way out on the tip of a peninsula.
In order to run internet (actually IP protocol over some physical layer transport protocol), you need to have a T-1 modem at each end which will have either a synchronous serial connection, or an IP router using buffering, or some other interface such as multiple synchronous serial lines or voice lines.
You do not need to know what the T-1 transport layer itself is like, just the interface provided by the modem.

That throughput is good by phone line standards (since it is symmetrical, it is better than most DSL connections over a subscriber line) and by cell phone standards (since it has no uncertainty on throughput or latency). But it is poor by cable ISP standards.
Most business uses benefit from symmetrical throughput while most consumer uses can favor download speed without degradation of service.

PS: A friend of mine runs his home internet over a two mile "air gap" which is bridged by what are essentially WiFi base stations each connected to a surplus cable TV dish carefully aimed. For longer reaches it may be useful to use a larger old fashioned satellite dish. (See also post #4)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.