NJ Electrical inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Service Technician
Are inspectors allowed to do electrical work in the town they also inspect in? I always thought the answer was no but seems to happening a lot in my area.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That would be a local issue. As long as his work is inspected by someone else, I would not have a problem with that. It is fairly common in areas with only part time inspectors.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When I first got in the trade I heard that they couldn't work in their home town.
Like Don had mentioned: I don't know of any that can't work in their home town as long as it's inspected by someone else.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
When I was in my apprenticeship, I did some work in the Los Angeles County District Attorneys building. On this one floor, way in the back at the end of the floor, was an office with no markings. One day while I was working there, someone came and unlocked door. I asked him what this office was for, and he said. We track buildings inspectors.

kwired

Electron manager
Do EI's in real jurisdictions even have the time to do any "side work" other than an occasional small project for themselves, close friends or family?

Some multi trade inspector in some small town of 2500 or less doesn't really count, those typically are corrupt and follow their own rules anyway.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Do EI's in real jurisdictions even have the time to do any "side work" other than an occasional small project for themselves, close friends or family?

Some multi trade inspector in some small town of 2500 or less doesn't really count, those typically are corrupt and follow their own rules anyway.
In many towns, they sure do. You'll frequently see inspectors that are only available 3 days a week for 4 hours each day.

Occupation
Service Technician

Yeah so this guy doing the work inspects 3 towns. About a total population of 200k. It’s by the Jersey Shore. It’s very common around here now to have kinda failure contractors become inspectors then do work on the weekends holidays etc. This particular guy changed business names a few times before inspecting, kinda sketchy if you ask me. I’m going to call Trenton tomorrow and see what’s up with this.

Occupation
Service Technician
Like it’s not hard enough for legit guys to make it. Now you have these guys who are your competition and government employees at the same time. They should have to shelve the license if they want to inspectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.