NJ Electrical License Inactive Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
I maybe taking a position that will require me to place my electrical license in inactive status. Has anyone done this before, is it difficult to reverse, is there anything that I should consider that you experienced with this process?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What do you mean by inactive status? If you don't have an active business permit associated with the license it's sort of inactive by default because you cannot use it for anything.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
What do you mean by inactive status? If you don't have an active business permit associated with the license it's sort of inactive by default because you cannot use it for anything.
That's what I said, however from what I understand they want to see the contractors license listed as inactive. There is a process for this with the board I just wanted to know if anyone else had any experience with this.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Make the business permit inactive, do not do it to your electrical license
That's what I did years ago. My license is active but my business permit is not. By doing so I could open a new business rather quickly if you needed to. I think Ken is saying is that they want his status on the board of electrical contractors website to say that he's inactive but in reality if you do not have a business permit your license is already inactive.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
I need to get more information from the employer, they weren't very clear as to what is expected.

Teaser2

Occupation
Electrician/EE
"I need to get more information from the employer, they weren't very clear as to what is expected." Are you saying that the employer is asking you to place your license to "inactive" status? What is the reason, conflict of interest?

Inactive status waves the CEU, fees etc. Making your license inactive is easier to do, however, reactivating will take some time and require documents to be submitted.

I would highly recommend that you keep your license active if you are planning on utilizing it again in the future. ; you don't have to have business permit etc. as it is mentioned.

NEW J ERSEY A DMINISTRATIVE C ODE T ITLE 1 3 L AW AND P UBLIC S AFETY C HAPTER 3 1 B OARD OF E XAMINERS OF E LECTRICAL C ONTRACTORS

Read the section:
13:31-2.5 LICENSE REACTIVATION a) A licensee who holds an inactive license pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:31-2.4(c) may apply to the Board for reactivation of the inactive license. A licensee seeking reactivation of an inactive license shall submit: 1) A renewal application; 2) A certification of employment....................Read the whole section.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Basically I'm looking at taking a subcode position with the DCA, they consider having an active license a conflict of interest, but again I need to see exactly what they expect.

Teaser2

Occupation
Electrician/EE
Basically I'm looking at taking a subcode position with the DCA, they consider having an active license a conflict of interest, but again I need to see exactly what they expect.
I understand. I would definitely get more information about the requirements. My "guess" is that having an active license, not conducting business that overlaps with what you will be doing should not be considered as a conflict of interest. I am not a lawyer, this is just my opinion. Good luck with how everything will progress for you. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.