Nj license

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtite

In nj do you have to have 4 years of schooling in order to get master license ?
i have been told that you don't need schooling from some, and have been told you do need the schooling not Shure with is correct?

I also have been told that in order to prove how many hours you have been in the field that your boss has to fill out paper work stating hours worked etc.
what happenes if you left a company on bad terms is the employer mandated to fill out paperwork? If not can you use pAystubs as proof of hours down ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Some information, NJ does not have a master electrician's license. You pass the test and you will become a Licensed Electrical Contractor. All that means is that you've passed the test. If you want to open a business you'll need to obtain a business permit and seal which has mandatory requirements such as insurance. You do not need any schooling to sit for the test just number of required years of eligibility however certain degrees such as engineering may count towards your experience. This link has all of the information:

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/electric/elec_applications.htm

Transportation Guy

Not sure about NJ but in the states I have my licenses, you had to have your employer verify experience by filling out forms. In the early 90's I had my foreman fill out the paperwork. Being that my former boss saw me as a competitor, he called the board when he heard I was going to take my test. He pulled records and sent to the board showing I was a few hours short of the requirement if I only used his company. The board had approved me to take the test. After he called, they rescinded. I had the years in and passed my test the 1st time but not getting all my former employers to fill out the forms cost me a tremendous headache.

PS - my former boss never passed his test. His dad was the license holder. However when his dad passed, he started "renting" licenses. His last qualified individual just left and he is currently working without a license. Guess who's getting a call! :D:lol:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Not sure about NJ but in the states I have my licenses, you had to have your employer verify experience by filling out forms. In the early 90's I had my foreman fill out the paperwork. Being that my former boss saw me as a competitor, he called the board when he heard I was going to take my test. He pulled records and sent to the board showing I was a few hours short of the requirement if I only used his company. The board had approved me to take the test. After he called, they rescinded. I had the years in and passed my test the 1st time but not getting all my former employers to fill out the forms cost me a tremendous headache.

PS - my former boss never passed his test. His dad was the license holder. However when his dad passed, he started "renting" licenses. His last qualified individual just left and he is currently working without a license. Guess who's getting a call! :D:lol:

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." - Sicilian proverb.

liquidtite

Thanks for the post I'll call the num on the page , and ask them if my former employer is obligated to fill Out paper work .

Status
Not open for further replies.