NM above grid in a hallway of a multi family dwelling.. allowed or not... discuss :)

tronic

Occupation
Master Electrician
I just figured out what GOAT meant.... Thanks We would be interested in what your inspector has to say about it.
It looks like there has been a decision and compromise...
The shop is mostly in agreement with this thread now. So thanks y'all for helping me convince the dissenters (sic)..

The CBO was very receptive to our interpretation(s), which is a good sign of his willingness to at least hear us out. Which was quite refreshing, tbh. I was quite impressed by this approach. His being an electrician helped a lot too as we didn't have to "dumb" it down so much. I mean, don't get me wrong, we still "dumbed" it down, just not as much... \(^^)/
Anyway, looks like he mostly agreed with what was said here.

So, the Romex will be allowed above the drop ceiling and "exposed", provided it runs on the wall parallel to the air duct that runs in the corridor. He also mentioned the fixtures in the drop will have to be flex, MC, or factory whips.

Basically, if the Romex is running along the wall and the height of the run(s) is above the bottom of the duct, (kind of like using the duct as a sort of running board), then the CBO will accept the installation...

IMO, the solution allows for code compliance and not having to soffit or pipe the runs.

I hope my explanation is ok for everyone...if not let me know and I will change it up... and if my boss is reading this, I hope he now realizes how amazing I am (if he didn't already) and that guys of my caliber are usually in the elevator trade... so he's pretty lucky really...

#DennisAlwonequalsGOAT #oldGOAT

Thanks again, everyone...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

John A

Occupation
Inspector
NJ chain of command is Electrical Inspector, Electrical Subcode Official (Chief Inspector), and the same crew for Plumbing/Mechanical, Building, and Fire.

The classifications for Licenses are, RCS, HHS, Subcode, and CO. (In that order)

The CO must have one (or more) technical licenses. He/She may only 'overrule' a decision by one of the Subcodes IF he/she has that tech license.

When all else fails, there is an Appeals Board, in each County, that a rejected job can be appealed to. There are fees to 'go to the Board' amd IF the 'sparky' is other than a 'sole proprietor' a lawyer is required.

That's life here in NJ