NM and soffit fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

We all know that NM is not allowed on the exterior of a building but some consider the inside of the soffit to be part of the "interior". In this case, compliance with 334 has not been met.

What other violations do you see with this installation?

IMG_5581.JPG

mpd

i hope the majority of these photo's are not electricians, if they are i hope you make alot of money for all the aggravation you deal with

peter d

Then don't look. There are tens of thousands of other threads to click on.

If you actually posted pictures of things that were somewhat interesting, I would not have made the comment that I did. As it is, I think any of us who do residential work or inspect residential work see this stuff on a daily basis, so it really is truly boring to see more pictures of it now.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Then don't look. There are tens of thousands of other threads to click on.
I agree with Pete. If it was of a violation that is somewhat controversial or unusual, fine, but pictures of violations that even most first year apprentices would catch are boring.

ivsenroute

I agree with Pete. If it was of a violation that is somewhat controversial or unusual, fine, but pictures of violations that even most first year apprentices would catch are boring.

Not all areas of the country have licensing programs. Not all areas of the country have training programs for journeymen, apprentices, etc. Not all areas of the country have codes adopted and not all areas of the country have inspections performed.

Just about every time I post a photo someone makes the comment that "someone other than an electrician ............must have done that", but that is not the case. Most of these are from jobs performed by professional electricians with insurance. Some have been in business for longer than I have been alive (44).

What may be trivial and boring to you may not be to someone else and you are always entitled to your opinion, just as I am. Do you think that I enjoy seeing and inspecting this crap every day? I started wiring houses and doing remodeling at a very young age, went into the Marine Corps and worked on electrical systems of aircraft then was heavily involved in industrial electrical work and motor controls, PLC's and more. It sickens me that basic, very basic kindergarten items such as this post still happens every single day.

I have inspected the work of DIY homewners that did a better job then an electrician's job that I just came from. This is the exception, not the rule. I have a long list of competent, compliant ECs and just as long of a list of the not so competent.

You may not be learning from this but someone else is.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Although I don't always care for ivsenroute's posts, I don't have a problem with them being posted. You can see who posted the thread from the index and you can look at how many pages of replies there are to determine if you'll have any interest in clicking any thread.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
To me, when the pictures help to describe a questionable situation they can help, when they simply show the same shoddy work I see daily they are, to me, like Mexican food, I enjoy them in brevity, but not in great quantity.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
To me, when the pictures help to describe a questionable situation they can help, when they simply show the same shoddy work I see daily they are, to me, like Mexican food, I enjoy them in brevity, but not in great quantity.

I can eat Mexican food all week long. Yum.

Status
Not open for further replies.