NM-B installed in damp location

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhanson

Occupation
General Journeyman Electrician
I've discovered the use of NM-B cable installed in an outdoor kitchen/dining space, completely detached from the main house. Area has a fully closed roof, no walls, and wooden deck with crawl space underneath.
While crawling under the deck for an unrelated project, I discovered a large 12x12x6 can with many NM cables feeding various appliances, such as a disposal, dishwasher, gas water heater, gas space heaters, TV etc. just as you would find in an interior kitchen and dining room.
Just wondering exactly what the hazard would be for this installation.? I explained to the homeowners that this installation is in violation of NEC 2011 334.12 (B)(4) and is not listed to be installed in Wet or Damp locations.
Home owner is asking for an explanation of what exactly is the Hazard of this installation, and I find myself struggling to find an explanation other than the code violation.

Thank You for your thoughts
Michael Hanson
Journeyman Electrician
San Francisco Bay area.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Other than the code says so I doubt there would be a serious issue with the install and I would have a hard time saying it is worth changing out at all.

mhanson

Occupation
General Journeyman Electrician
Thank you Dennis
Exactly what I was thinking
I had to ask myself, if this were in my house would I replace it? And my answer was No.
Thank you again for your thoughts.
Michael h.

Status
Not open for further replies.