NM cable in RNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendog

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I was wondering if you guys could give me a hand. Before I begin let me apologize for my ignorance on this subject since the major part of my experience is in residential wiring. We are looking at trying to run our panel box drops from the second floor to the basement through schedule 40 RNC. The reason behind this is becuase of the addition to article 334.80 requiring derating of more then 2 cables passing through fraimming required to be fire/ draft stopped. The question I have is whether or not there is a derating factor on the conductors installed in the conduit. The conduit will be 8 to 9 feet in length. My opinion is that it does but my third party inspector is trying to tell me that it doesn't since the conduit is not a complete system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
That's a fill table. You can exceed the normal conduit fill when a conduit is used for damage protection, but you'll still have thermal derating issues. Cables bundled or in a raceway need to be derated. Even if you didn't consider an incomplete conduit system a raceway, I don't know how you could consider cables in a pipe not bundled.

For most NM cables, you can fit 4 in a bundle or raceway before the ampacity has dropped enough that you need to begin to oversize. So I'd plan for a bunch of 1" holes if you have a lot of cables.

kendog

That is my understanding also that it would need to be derated, but since the conduit is not being used for protection purposes wouldn't the fill requirements come into play also?

bob

kendog
Derating of a conductor has nothing to do with conduit fill. You can have a conduit that will allow 12 conductors. If you only install 4 you have to derate the cable by 80%.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For small amperage circuits the magic number before derating becomes a factor is 9 CCC's. You could put 3-two wire and 1-3 wire cable in to the conduit without having to worry about derating.

celtic

kendog said:
The reason behind this is becuase of the addition to article 334.80 requiring derating of more then 2 cables passing through fraimming required to be fire/ draft stopped.
334.80 Ampacity.
Where more than two NM cables containing two or more current-carrying conductors are bundled together and pass through wood framing that is to be fire- or draftstopped using thermal insulation or sealing foam, the allowable ampacity of each conductor shall be adjusted in accordance with Table 310.15(B)(2)(a).

What does "bundled" mean in relation to NM?
I take it to mean that they are together(no spaced) for a distance of 24" or greater..as a reference, see: 310.15(B)(2).
The 24" for derating is mentioned at least 8 times in various NEC articles...although no specific mention is made of NM.

bob said:
kendog
Derating of a conductor has nothing to do with conduit fill. You can have a conduit that will allow 12 conductors. If you only install 4 you have to derate the cable by 80%.
HUH?
Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) Adjustment Factors for More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors in a Raceway or Cable

I could easily have more than 4 conductors in a raceway or cable and not have to derate.

kendog

the problem we are having is our third party inspector considers anything that passes through the same hole as bundled since we have to draft/ firestop all top and bottom plates of a wall we fall into the rule.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
kendog said:
the problem we are having is our third party inspector considers anything that passes through the same hole as bundled since we have to draft/ firestop all top and bottom plates of a wall we fall into the rule.

Well this isn't the same as the 24" bundling rule but the end result is the same. The NM cables through the hole with fire or draft stopping material require derating. But unless you have more than 9 current carrying conductors the derating should have no affect on the current carrying ampacity of small NM cables.

I would go one step further to say that there is not a requirement for any derating with regard to NM through fire or draft stopped holes because 310.15(A)(2)Exception would apply.

bob

celtic said:
HUH?
Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) Adjustment Factors for More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors in a Raceway or Cable

I could easily have more than 4 conductors in a raceway or cable and not have to derate.
I am missing you point. If you have 4 current carrying conductors you must derate per the table. Do you have some conductors that are not carrying current?

celtic

bob said:
kendog

You never mentioned that these conductors were current carrying.....no derate is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.