NM cables into the back of a meter main panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukjnky

I recently was turned down on an inspection because we had entered the back wall on a meter/main combo box (200 A) through snap in bushings .The cables were stapled within 12 inches of the bushings, but the inspector wants us to install the two-screw type cable connector. Can anyone lend me a code reference that might help us from re-terminating the whole panel back over again? Panel looks "tight"too!

stickboy1375

If anything install one of these...
rat500.jpg

called a Tom Two Way, from Rack-A-Tiers

as far as code is concerned, try 314.17 (B) & (C)

Last edited:

Jljohnson

314.17(B) says your inspector is right. Somewher in the book it says that cables may be run into a box through the type of bushing you describe but only if they are fished into place.

iwire

Staff member
dukjnky said:
Can anyone lend me a code reference

Yes, but you will not like it.

312.5(C) requires that cables be secured to the cabinet.

If you used just bushings instead of connectors you will have to rework it.

eprice

The fittings stickboy has shown may work for you. I don't think the snap in bushings you mention statisfy the requirements of 312.5(C).

wireman71

And why doesn't a gray bushing with finger secure the wire to the panel? I'm just curious. Those things are standard for use where I live for landing NM in a panel.

stickboy1375

wireman71 said:
And why doesn't a gray bushing with finger secure the wire to the panel? I'm just curious. Those things are standard for use where I live for landing NM in a panel.

It probably does, the OP used a snap in bushing...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Okay, so let's ask:
dukjnky said:
I recently was turned down on an inspection because we had entered the back wall on a meter/main combo box (200 A) through snap in bushings.

Are you talking about simple KO liners, ar do these bushings provide some cable-gripping action? If you mean several cables per hole, I agree with the inspector. You should be using cable-gripping devices within their cable size and quantity ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.