NM in attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Someone mentioned 3' earlier-- I believe that was in a code years ago or I have the same misdirection your inspector has. It would be somewhere between 1978 and present-- but I am sure it was closer to the earlier date, if it was there at all.:)

jetlag

thanks dennis

thanks dennis

Someone mentioned 3' earlier-- I believe that was in a code years ago or I have the same misdirection your inspector has. It would be somewhere between 1978 and present-- but I am sure it was closer to the earlier date, if it was there at all.:)

The last I heard it was 4 or 5 years ago , a contractor was complaining at the supply house that the inspector in his county was coming up with crazy things like all wires on top of the ceiling joists in attic must be kept 3 ft. Im not sure if he said where heigth is less than 3 ft or if he said less than 3 ft from plate line

jetlag

6 ft rule

6 ft rule

Ive never understood the 6 ft rule any way if there is large attic space with lots of head room in the area of the scuttle and a person wants to deck it there are not going to stop at 6 ft , what purpose is it to draw the line at 6 ft. it is like wise just as stupid to say if you have a permanent stairs no wire can be on top of the joists all the way over to the plate where the heigth is zero and on trusses there are a mase of braces to even get over there, I think the old rule on the height of 3 ft or less does not have to be protected unless with in 6 ft of opening was the best, when i say heigth IM refering to the clearence in the attic crawl space , not the placing of a cable

Last edited:

Split Bolt

Ive never understood the 6 ft rule any way if there is large attic space with lots of head room in the area of the scuttle and a person wants to deck it there are not going to stop at 6 ft , what purpose is it to draw the line at 6 ft. it is like wise just as stupid to say if you have a permanent stairs no wire can be on top of the joists all the way over to the plate where the heigth is zero and on trusses there are a mase of braces to even get over there, I think the old rule on the height of 3 ft or less does not have to be protected unless with in 6 ft of opening was the best, when i say heigth IM refering to the clearence in the attic crawl space , not the placing of a cable

I've always thought the 6' rule existed because homeowners always fill the area close to the scuttle hole with boxes and other stuff, where it can be reached w/o getting off of the ladder, whether or not there is a floor!

jetlag

I've always thought the 6' rule existed because homeowners always fill the area close to the scuttle hole with boxes and other stuff, where it can be reached w/o getting off of the ladder, whether or not there is a floor!

thats true , but inspectors are being instructed to count pull down stairs as a scuttle opening, and if there is head room to walk upright all the way to end of house the code doesnt change the 6 ft rule. Thats why I say these things should be based on the height of the attic space not the type of stairs as the only means of determining the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.