no ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: no ballast

Jim, even if we're talking electronic, it's still a ballast.

Roger

elect36

I'm referring to florescent light bulb's in house or what not? The one's you can put in a lamp.

bphgravity

I believe you may be refering to a compact fluorescent which does indeed have a small ballast starter at the base. Pick one up, they are quite heavy for their size.

727.jpg

[ January 10, 2005, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: bphgravity ]

elect36

Yes, that's what i was referring to.Thank you for that. Where did you find that picture? And how can I found out more about the little ballast inside? I did not know they where inside.

physis

You could leave out the ballast if you have sufficient voltage. Ignoring starting.

For instance, I beileve a T-12 tube lights near a "whoever" generator, the static making sphere.

drg

Jim or sam . could you explain the function of a ballast??
I would like to know how it really works.

Have had it explained before but did not quite understand , perhaps the explanation was incorrect or I simply did not follow.

Either of you care to explain how a electronic ballast or magnetic ballast functions please do.

Don't just say it starts the light and when it goes bad we replace it .....that part we know.

How about a little more on the subject of ballasts and what makes them tick.

rattus

The classic magnetic ballast is an inductor, and its main function is to limit the current through the fluorescent tube without wasting a lot of energy. The starter temporarily applies voltage to the filaments to heat them to the point that electrons boil off them. After the lamp starts, the current through the ionized mercury vapor keeps the filaments hot. And, in some circuits, an inductive kick from the ballast helps to start conduction.

Charley, how about a diagram of the classic fluorescent circuit?

physis

I was being terse, an electronic ballast is a power supply. Same idea.

Read one and you should find the output voltage.

rattus

I must admit I don't know how an electronic ballast works. It is not a simple power supply though because fluorescent tubes do not operate on a fixed voltage. I suspect that they sense the current and use a switching regulator to limit said current. They may even convert to DC, but I am not sure about this.

For more info on fluorescent lighting, see:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/lighting.html#c2

For more on electronic ballasts, see:

http://www.irf.com/technical-info/designtp/irpllnr1.pdf#search='electronic%20ballast%20fluorescent'

[ January 11, 2005, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: rattus ]

physis

Rattus,

I like your second link. Good details.

I'm not gonna claim to be a fluorescent scientist. But I still think the electronic ballast is a power supply. It does have some control logic but I think that just makes it smart.

rattus

Yes, the electronic ballast is a power supply but not the conventional fixed voltage supply. I would say it is more of a current source. I need to wade through the diagram to see how it really works.

drg

Thanks guys , picked up a ballast at the shop this morning and asked one of the sharp college guys to explain a little on how this thing works........he was good about it and went over the ballast with me for a few moments.........glad I asked.

A couple years ago I asked this retired electrician who worked for us in the summer months but he lost me with his explanation and since then its been" change the bulbs and if that don't work its the ballast".

This method is fine and what else can you do out in the field??

None the less its still is good to have some better knowledge of what your working with.........I guess its that desire of just wanting to be a real electrician and not just a parts changer or some type of installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.