No Building Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie1220

Occupation
electrician
I am suppling a new 480 service to a pump house building and I was going to install 2 ground rods for the new service. I am also installing a transformer to the building for 120 needs. There is no building steel so my question is do I just tie the waterpipe and ground rod together NEC 250.50 or do I use the waterpipe for the transformer grounding 250.104(D)(1). Or do they all get tied together?

There is also another detached building that we are suppling a 480 panel (from the first building) and another transformer for 120 needs. I am assuming that building needs its own grounding system (2 ground rods), but I had the same question about the transformer grounding.

Thank you

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
what is the existing service grounded to?

the code requires that whatever qualifying grounding electrodes you have need to be bonded together into a grounding electrode system at each structure.

incidentally, take a real close look at what the code actually says about "building steel".

Jennie1220

Occupation
electrician
what is the existing service grounded to?

the code requires that whatever qualifying grounding electrodes you have need to be bonded together into a grounding electrode system at each structure.

incidentally, take a real close look at what the code actually says about "building steel".
The old service didnt have any grounding at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.