No GFCI breakers, Only Want GFCI Recetacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Back in 2000, some of the first AFCI's had a .5-7MA class A trip sensitivity, which would trip when a down stream GFCI would trip, whether it be by the test button, or the circuit leakage of the GFCI, after they realized this problem they raised it to 30-50ma, no more problem with having a down stream GCFI on a AFCI.
Funny part is now they can set it back to the 5-7ma and call it a combo AFCI/GFCI and charge you more lol.:rolleyes:

Now I think they all are set at 30 ma trip level, which is the same as a GFP

Just heard about this new house being built. The homeowner apparently want all gfci receptacles. Now don't get me wrong, Im a big supporter of gfci, but they said they do not want the breakers, just the receptcles.

It was explained to them that it would (breakers that is) provide protection of the whole branch circuit, and would most likely be cheaper in the long run instead of buying all gfci receptacles.

They claim they want the 'fault' limited as much as possible to the receptacles only. Oh well, its their MONEY. This is a good size house so Im sure the contractor will make thier money. This homeowner is not an electrician, they just going off of what someone told them. Whats your opinion of this?? Gfci breaker, or receptacles??

Only your fist receptacle in the line needs to be GFP, the rest can be slaved to the first one. Each model has instructions on how many can be slaved after the protective unit and include labels that can be tagged on the regular looking receptacles, saying they are protected by a master unit. Without actually seeing the circuiting it is hard to say what the savings would be.

zappy

I'll go with ,."they are nuts" please Alex.

I would guess the reason why Bob finds this to be often specified,. is that should there be a little leakage on several items on GFCI breaker they all add up ,..could be enough to trip the breaker . If there is protection at the outlet then only that , which leaks , at that particular outlet will be seen by the ground fault protection circuit.,.. there ,.now did that make any sense?

So I thought anyway from my experience that a gfci outlet will trip if there is a problem on the line side too?

Esthy

Husband in business trip. Wife paranoid regarding GFCI, purchase 40+ and asked handyman to replace all receptacles for GFICs, the ones with "the green light". Husband returned from trip and he finds himself walking in a giant green christmas land. Husband called me, I returned the place back to the original, wife insults me, I took my check and voila I disappear.

Husband in business trip. Wife paranoid regarding GFCI, purchase 40+ and asked handyman to replace all receptacles for GFICs, the ones with "the green light". Husband returned from trip and he finds himself walking in a giant green christmas land. Husband called me, I returned the place back to the original, wife insults me, I took my check and voila I disappear.

Ha! Sounds like some marital discord will result from all that.........

Just heard about this new house being built. The homeowner apparently want all gfci receptacles. Now don't get me wrong, Im a big supporter of gfci, but they said they do not want the breakers, just the receptcles.

It was explained to them that it would (breakers that is) provide protection of the whole branch circuit, and would most likely be cheaper in the long run instead of buying all gfci receptacles.

They claim they want the 'fault' limited as much as possible to the receptacles only. Oh well, its their MONEY. This is a good size house so Im sure the contractor will make thier money. This homeowner is not an electrician, they just going off of what someone told them. Whats your opinion of this?? Gfci breaker, or receptacles??

I agree with "at use" protection and convenience of resetting.

Status
Not open for further replies.