No more 175W MV Barnyard lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

I've probably installed a couple hundred of these, and worked on maybe that many more:

dtd.jpg

I go to buy one today, and the supply house says they can't get them anymore. I generally bought the GE brand one's from them, and they switched about 6 months ago to Stonco because they couldn't get them from GE anymore. Now, Stonco quit making them. I zip over a few streets to another supply house to get one of whatever brand they have, and they also report they haven't been able to get these for at least 2 weeks now.

What's going on with these things? Something to do with that new energy act that I missed? This is a popular light for an awful lot of people. When the ballast goes bad in them, I normally replaced the whole fixture because it was cheaper and quicker. Now, I guess my hand is going to be forced into fixing the old ones.

mdshunk

ultramegabob said:
mercury vapor has gone the way of the Do Do bird....
Fair enough, but the fixture pictured above is a real utilitarian workhorse, and economical to install. You see them everywhere. I'm sorta bummed about it.

jdsmith

Having mercury vapor gone may result in more work for you. Mercury vapor lights seem to burn for a long time past the nominal life, they just keep getting dimmer and dimmer. HPS or metal halide will burn out a lot more frequently. If anybody want to come visit me I will have 800 or so used MV and HPS fixtures up for grabs in the next few months - I'm installing induction to eliminate that bulb changing issue for 22 years :grin:.

480sparky

mdshunk said:
Hmmm... whatcha know about that. The least they could do is continue to make this fixture in metal halide.

That wouldn't solve the problem of light pollution. It would only make it a different color.

peter d

mdshunk said:
I've probably installed a couple hundred of these, and worked on maybe that many more:

A couple hundred? I doubt there is that many in all of my state. :D You must really live out in the country because that is the only place I ever see those.

And yes, as the other have said due to the Energy Act the mercury vapor ballast is now extinct. It's illegal for manufacture or import. Lamps are still permitted to be manufactured/imported for replacement use only obviously.

As for replacements, why not use a MH or HPS barn lights instead of trying to repair MV? HPS for energy efficiency and lamp life (comparable to MV) and MH for light quality? As I'm sure you know MV has both terrible color rendering and lumen/watt efficiency. A 175 watt MV lamp has a lower lumen output than a 100 watt HPS.

If you are really attached to the MV barn light you might want to check all you area Lowes/HD. I have been seeing them on the clearance racks for fractions of the original price.

peter d

mdshunk said:
Hmmm... whatcha know about that. The least they could do is continue to make this fixture in metal halide.

They do...Lowes and HD have them. The supply houses? I don't know...it's not a normal stock item here.

peter d

mdshunk said:
I try not to enter the places who's names shall not be mentioned. :smile:

Ooopps...sorry...the orange and blue box....but if they have them and your supply house doesn't, where are you going to get them? ;)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
You know, I still don't understand why I'm not supposed to say Home Depot or Lowes. Will I turn into a toad or something?

I mean, I'm probably the most editorial mod here, and I can't see the offense from using their proper names.

(Not to say I didn't get Marc's joke, I'm just saying)

iwire

Staff member
George Stolz said:
You know, I still don't understand why I'm not supposed to say Home Depot or Lowes. Will I turn into a toad or something?

I mean, I'm probably the most editorial mod here, and I can't see the offense from using their proper names.

Home_Depot.jpg

lowes.jpg

I say the orange box or the blue box only 'cause I choose to, just like I might call Radio shack 'Junk Shack'

I don't think any moderator has ever prohibited "Home Depot" or "Lowe's."

peter d

George Stolz said:

FWIW I just name them because probably everybody who is an electrician/EC by day and trunk slamming DIY at night probably shops at one or both of those places. I certainly do for my non-electrical projects (and some electrical too.)

And yes I also strongly believe in shopping at professional trade suppliers too. :cool:

norcal

Have you looked at the energy costs of those POS fixures? Cheaper to operate a couple of 150W PAR lamps, last one I paid any attention to said 3.3A @120V.

mdshunk

norcal said:
Have you looked at the energy costs of those POS fixures?
In much the same way that I ought to be able to drive a gas-guzzler if I'm willing to pay for the gas, I should be able to use any fixture I want.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
mdshunk said:
In much the same way that I ought to be able to drive a gas-guzzler if I'm willing to pay for the gas, I should be able to use any fixture I want.

Should is the operative word here. It is amazing that you cannot buy this fixture but 2 people can build a house with 12,000 sq. feet and there is no issue there. Seems odd doesn't it.

My customer just built a 7,000 sq. foot house for the 2 of them. She is making it green. $38,000 for insulation alone but seriously how can a 7,000 sq. ft. house be green-- no way. At least it will help conserve some energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.