No more 175W MV Barnyard lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

mdshunk said:
In much the same way that I ought to be able to drive a gas-guzzler if I'm willing to pay for the gas, I should be able to use any fixture I want.

True...but now the gov't appears tell us otherwise by their phasing out energy inefficient products, much the same way the price of fuel has relegated gas guzzlers to moorings and scrap heaps.

I'm pretty sure I read that magnetic ballasts are also going to be extinct in a few years as well.

This message is not to be confused with me condoning gov't intervention in all aspects of our lives. ;)

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
iwire said:
I don't think any moderator has ever prohibited "Home Depot" or "Lowe's."

I didn't mean to imply that, I just meant that it seems like people think they're going to get in trouble somehow for calling them by name. Anyway, carry on... :)

g@friendly

I think Home depote has the light in stock. I seen them there before. I used a 500w Sodium on my barn that is toward the Pastures and I have a cutoff shield on the one on the parking side due to light pollution.

peter d

g@friendly said:
I think Home depote has the light in stock. I seen them there before. I used a 500w Sodium on my barn that is toward the Pastures and I have a cutoff shield on the one on the parking side due to light pollution.

Then you have the only 500 watt sodium lamp in existence. ;)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Due to light pollution, many areas are requiring lights to have flat lenses and be cut off type for lamps rated greater than 175 watts.

A cutoff luminaire is one where no more than 2.5% of the light output extends above the horizon (90 degrees above nadir*) and no more than 10% at or above a vertical angle of 80 degrees above nadir.

To comply, the fixture must be rated as "cutoff" in a photometric test report that includes any tilt or other non-level mounting condition.

Here in CA this only applys to nonresidential, but many places have lighting zones (rural, urban, etc) and dictate how much lighting is allowed in these areas.

Of course this is just an opinion on why you can't find the lights, there could be other reasons of course.:smile:

*Nadir is in the direction of straight down, as would be indicated by a plumb line. Ninety degrees above nadir is horizontal. Eighty degrees above nadir is 10 degrees below horizontal.

Status
Not open for further replies.