No more loose leaf code books…

clos4christ

New User
Occupation
National Project Manager, Master Electrician
I reached out to the NFPA only to be told that they are not going to provide them any longer.

Here is what they said:
Picture1

Good day,

Thank you for contacting National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).

We will no longer be carrying loose leaf option.

Sincerely,

NFPA Customer Support

What do you think? Are you disappointed or indifferent?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
If the new are anything like the 2020 it wouldn't be long before most pages are loose leaf anyway. I use the electronic.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm probably going to buy the spiral and have it scanned to a PDF using the company Don suggested. With the index and return of the original it's about $170 without buying the book.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
We have to have them for code update class. So no book , no license.

A few years back MA exempted those over 65 from having to go to code updates for our Gas Fitters license. This lasted a couple of years till some of the "kids" complained "why do we have to go to code updates if the old guys don't". That put a stop to that.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Electrical Contracting is a losing proposition. You are starting out as a looser from the get-go.

I don't have a "Cristal Ball "do you? How can you give an estimate before the project ever begins ?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I get it, this forum is based on code compliance, and not on being profitable in the electrical contracting business, good luck to you all.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Thank you for your honest answer. There's a disconnect from being code compliant and being profitable. The two are not compatible.
I think its not for the lack of desire to be code compliant by the EC but more the customer that doesn't want to pay to be code compliant. (The lights come on so what's the problem.) For example an AFCI when required will cost me $70 but a standard breaker only $10 and as an EC my license says I have to install the AFCI, but the handyman or GC with no code knowledge will give the HO the $10 option and I don't get the job, Until something goes bad.
The you have 90% of an electrical installation hidden behind a wall and half the work hidden, and HO is why is it so much to put in just 5 receptacle with a light with switch.
Then you have the HO that will buy an EV then calls to install a 48A charger on their 100A service, and objects to the cost that it will require a service upgrade. Objecting "I have 3 empty spaces in my panel." then goes and gets the Handyman. Automatic assumption that an empty space means you can add to the system.
Even GC will call (if they even call) to add several new circuits, "the panel has 5 empty spaces" on that 100A service that still has the old 60A service wire, and it already has an electric range, dryer, water heater, and a two story addition that effectively doubled the sq ft. "Why can't you add to it you've got five spaces."
Then you have the HO that wants to point the finger at the EC even if the EC didn't even touch the system section. i.e. EC changes a light bulb and furnace stops working later that week, it must be something the EC did.
Then you have the battle with the other systems installers that come in and creates a code violation in the Electrical system by their installation and tell you to move your install because it is not a violation of their installation.

EC is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Trades.