No permit and no payment

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcom

I'm glad I could help.

Are you and your's alright?

ok, just lost power for a week, but some towns near us were under water and lost a lot of property, but they still have their life, so that is good, John, with all the flooding, some of the big flat rate guys, were charging three time the price to chance out a panel, and check the service, and once a customer gave them a call they got right there and started tearing apart the service, before they could get another price, sad they have to make money that way.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
ok, just lost power for a week, but some towns near us were under water and lost a lot of property, but they still have their life, so that is good, John, with all the flooding, some of the big flat rate guys, were charging three time the price to chance out a panel, and check the service, and once a customer gave them a call they got right there and started tearing apart the service, before they could get another price, sad they have to make money that way.

Yeah we had that same problem after the '94 earthquake. Plumbers were charging $400 just to change out the waterheater lines. Once it's decalared an disaster area, that should help slow it down. I don't remember what the law says, but rates can only be raised so much or they can be charged with price gouging.

You take care and stay safe.

Moderators: Sorry we got a little off track here. Get so wrapped up in our own little worlds that we forget about things that are happening to others.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Homeowner's signature on a work order is construed as intent to pay. Never, never do any work, regardless of how small the job, without a signature from the customer agreeing to the price and to the scope of work to be done. Anything else you are running the risk of doing it for free with no legal recourse.

I've never had a contract or a work order. Occasionally I sent an email on what work was to be done.

Most of my work comes from people who would be embarrassed if I started asking the person that referred them to me why they wouldn't pay their bill.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I sometimes wonder how much the line between gouging and the law of supply and demand get blurred?

I look at it this way. If you are still paying the same for material, but you're raising your rate three fold simply because you know that the people are in dire straights and don't have any other options, then you're price gouging.

If parts are hard to get and the suppliers are charging you more then it's supply and demand.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I look at it this way. If you are still paying the same for material, but you're raising your rate three fold simply because you know that the people are in dire straights and don't have any other options, then you're price gouging.

If parts are hard to get and the suppliers are charging you more then it's supply and demand.

In general I charge as much as I think I can get. Haven't done any disaster work, but if I have more work than I can get to it's been time to raise prices. I see where it would be different in a disaster, but could I get a little more? Maybe time & 1/2 for hours over 8/40?

kwired

Electron manager

In general I charge as much as I think I can get. Haven't done any disaster work, but if I have more work than I can get to it's been time to raise prices. I see where it would be different in a disaster, but could I get a little more? Maybe time & 1/2 for hours over 8/40?

Wouldn't a disaster create demand. How much is too much is debatable. If there is work to be done and more than enough people to do it, the rules of supply and demand dictate that the price should go down, not up. The fact that insurance or government disaster relief funds are often used to pay seems to automatically raise the price, possibly for more than one reason, yet we all complain about taxes and insurance premiums. Collectively, I think we are about the hardest to please people in the world, and will do whatever it takes to get what we want, even if it creates hardships for others.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

I don't begrudge anyone making money, just not off of other peoples misery. I don't have my hands on the FEMA regs, but there is a set amount that you can raise your prices in a "declared" disaster area. You can charge your regular customers whatever you want.

jumper

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

it always amazes me that folks in the trades ( or anywhere, for that matter) are so willing to take advantage of a really bad situation just to line their pockets. disasters are not (imho) the time to take an unfair economic advantage. tha't s just me:D

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Here ya go, not FEMA but seems credible.

http://apps.americanbar.org/antitru...programs/spring-06/price-gouging-statutes.pdf

PS. I went through the '89 quake in SF, lotsa fun.

There you are. Goes state by state. I thought it was 1/3 here in CA, but it's only 10% and that seems the norm per that list.

Yeah during the '94 earthquake we were woking 16 hours a day 7 days a week. Superbowl Sunday we watched the game, from house to house. People would feel sorry for us working and invite us in and we would watch a couple of plays and then move on to the next house and watch a couple of more and so on.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.