NO V To G

Status
Not open for further replies.

solaeros

So, anyone ever seen a 3 phase Delta xformer, where you cannot read voltage on 1, phase to ground on the load side, while the other two phases read just fine; and all three primary phases read to ground? I would have thought the transformer had lost a leg. However all the machinery running off this transformer was operating properly

mdshunk

Sounds just like corner grounded delta.

image017.jpg

solaeros

I'm guessing your right on the money (I wasn't able to get into the transformer housing to see for sure. Is this a very common practice? I've only been in the business about 7 years and haven't come across it before. It seems counter intuitive to wire 3 phase motors to a leg that's grounded (essentialy a neutral) I guess the inductive reactance will keep it from harm just like a light bulb would on 120 or 277v

76nemo

solaeros said:
I'm guessing your right on the money (I wasn't able to get into the transformer housing to see for sure. Is this a very common practice? I've only been in the business about 7 years and haven't come across it before. It seems counter intuitive to wire 3 phase motors to a leg that's grounded (essentialy a neutral) I guess the inductive reactance will keep it from harm just like a light bulb would on 120 or 277v

Ahhhh, corner grounded, here we go again,.............

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
or

or

It is also possible that you have an ungrounded delta system in which one phase has gone to ground unintenionally. If the design is for ungrounded, I would suggest you look into a ground detection system.

mdshunk

augie47 said:
It is also possible that you have an ungrounded delta system in which one phase has gone to ground unintenionally. If the design is for ungrounded, I would suggest you look into a ground detection system.
Yikes, didn't really think of that. When I hear hoof beats, I normally think of horses, but I suppose that it is possible he's dealing with zebras.

mdshunk

Pierre C Belarge said:
Marc
could you explain that sentence?
I'd be glad to, but it's a pretty old expression.

When you hear hoofbeats, think horses and not zebras. Also known as Occam's Razor. It's just logical troubleshooting. We call it K.I.S.S. now.

Some people automaticly think the root of every problem is the most complicated, exotic, and wildest thing they've ever heard of. Check the common, simple stuff first, then move on to the more exotic if need be. Take a tylenol for your headache before you go for a CAT scan.

jrannis

mdshunk said:

When you hear hoofbeats, think horses and not zebras. Also known as Occam's Razor. It's just logical troubleshooting. We call it K.I.S.S. now.

Some people automaticly think the root of every problem is the most complicated, exotic, and wildest thing they've ever heard of. Check the common, simple stuff first, then move on to the more exotic if need be. Take a tylenol for your headache before you go for a CAT scan.

I thought it ment that most people thought of horses first, then found it to be zebras.

jrannis

solaeros said:
So, anyone ever seen a 3 phase Delta xformer, where you cannot read voltage on 1, phase to ground on the load side, while the other two phases read just fine; and all three primary phases read to ground? I would have thought the transformer had lost a leg. However all the machinery running off this transformer was operating properly

Is the installation only for the machinery?
The first phase to ground is free, its the second on that causes all of the problems.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Marc,
Just thought I should add that if you're gonna be working on this thing, it takes special disconnects and breakers.
In many cases you can use single phase equipment for this application. You have to check the listing and make sure that you don't use "slash" rated breakers.
Don

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
jrannis said:
I thought it ment that most people thought of horses first, then found it to be zebras.
It seems more logical to think that the ones who think "horses" are more likley to be correct than those who think "zebras" are.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
LarryFine said:
It seems more logical to think that the ones who think "horses" are more likley to be correct than those who think "zebras" are.

Agreed, for anyone in Kentucky. However, anyone that lives in Africa might see it different :)

iaov

mdshunk said:

I always called this Zebra Hunting. I thought I made it up but apparently not. I used to work with a guy who was a cronic zebra hunter. His first guess was always that the machine "lost the program". In 18 years I never once saw a machine lose the program. (I did once see a Reliance PLC lose its OS) Experience has taught me that the problem is almost always a horse and that horse is usualy mechanical not electrical.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.