Non-contact 120 Vac Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtexas

I have a couple questions regarding non-contact 120 Vac work as it relates to NFPA 70E. Two scenarios ....

1) Work on a de-energized, isolated conductor within the LAB of exposed energized conductors (120 Vac). Am I understanding correctly that this type of job requires an EEWP but not insulated gloves/tools because intent is not to cross the RAB/PAB? It doesn?t seem quite right to me, like I?m missing something.

2) Operation of a device within the LAB of exposed energized conductors. For example, flipping a man/auto toggle switch (for cooling fan) within a transformer control cabinet. Does this qualify as ?work? and require an EEWP?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a couple questions regarding non-contact 120 Vac work as it relates to NFPA 70E. Two scenarios ....

1) Work on a de-energized, isolated conductor within the LAB of exposed energized conductors (120 Vac). Am I understanding correctly that this type of job requires an EEWP but not insulated gloves/tools because intent is not to cross the RAB/PAB? It doesn?t seem quite right to me, like I?m missing something.

2) Operation of a device within the LAB of exposed energized conductors. For example, flipping a man/auto toggle switch (for cooling fan) within a transformer control cabinet. Does this qualify as ?work? and require an EEWP?

1. If I understand what you are asking, you are not going to be exposed to the risk of electrocution but will still be exposed to the risk of arc flash. If this is what you are saying, I think you need PPE to protect you from arc flash but not from electrocution. So, if I understand what you are saying correctly, I think the statement is correct.

2. If you are being paid to do it, it is work IMO. There are enough variables to this question that I don't think it is actually answerable with the information you provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.