Non-IC rated can fixture in insulated ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcorbin

Hey guys, I've been working on a job which really falls a bit in between residential and commerical type construction. I do almost all commerical, so I thought nothing of using a bunch of non-IC rated cans, but I am now getting called to the carpet on the fixture choice. I know if I specified a residential-grade can, the architect and the client probably would not have liked it, and rightly so...it just wouldn't have been up to par (no pun intended :wink: ) with the other really nice fixtures.

But really, I just don't see a lot of commerical-or-higher grade can fixtures which are IC rated. When you run into a situation like this, do you

a) pull the insulation back, knowing it's going to be less efficient
b) build boxes around the cans (I'm not even sure this is an option...the can still needs to be ventilated somehow)
c) I haven't thought of a third option yet

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

stickboy1375

If the can is going to be installed in a insulated area then the can needs to be IC rated, now... if they are only installing the insulation for sound, then yes you can pull the insulation away 3", your just ripping your customer off on heating and cooling bills and not to mention energy codes if you remove the insulation where it is required...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think what stickboy is saying is that the energy codes in many areas will not let you pull back the insulation. Barring the energy code you would have to protect the can from insulation within 3" and this would be NEC compliant.

I have done many high end homes with some very nice trims or recessed cans. Halo is a pretty good quality can but you are right it is not there commercial grade can.

danickstr

3 inches can be tough to get on vaulted ceilings. check with Lightolier for a real expensive option for IC cans. Lots of fancy trims available for either the AIC or NON series.
I think in their case that aic and NON are about the same money, so I almost always get AIC. Not that that helps now...:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.