non ic recessed lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike9593

I am installing wiring for an addition. The owner provided all the lighting. I usually install IC rated airtight lights, but he provided me with LED Non IC housings. I know you cannot use them on the upper floors where they poke through to the attic, or wherever there is insulation. But are they OK to use on the 1st floor ceilings where there is no insulation? Or does the energy code noot allow non-IC fixtures?

cadpoint

It doesn't matter what we say the AHJ is the last word!

The owner can buy dooms for the lights that can be installed in the attic of the second floor, again if
the AHJ will let you.

:D

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
It doesn't matter what we say the AHJ is the last word!

The owner can buy dooms for the lights that can be installed in the attic of the second floor, again if
the AHJ will let you.

:D

Nice answer. I don't know about NJ code but out on the west coast the Code prevails and AHJ must administer the code. The AHJ cannot make up rules on his own they must be codified. Thus if there is no code saying that you need IC or Air tight ratings on the cans then you are free to use them. Many contractors these days insulate between floors for sound so be prepared for this.

Transportation Guy

Nice answer. I don't know about NJ code but out on the west coast the Code prevails and AHJ must administer the code. The AHJ cannot make up rules on his own they must be codified. Thus if there is no code saying that you need IC or Air tight ratings on the cans then you are free to use them. Many contractors these days insulate between floors for sound so be prepared for this.

You beat me to this! I get so tired of my guys allowing rules to "made up" beyond the code. I also know how to chose my battles.

RICK NAPIER

I'm from NJ and the code prevails and is state wide. It would be permitted outside the thermal envelope.

Status
Not open for further replies.