Non-incendive power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhee2

I thought I was up to speed with non-incendive installations for Class I Div 2 locations but after looking at some submittal drawings today maybe I am not.

- Should a 24 volt DC power supply that is supplying power to non-incendive field devices be listed/labeled as non-incendive or suitable for use in non-incendive circuits? (I thought yes, but a quick internet search did not identify any with this 'listing')
- I am familiar with applying vendor control drawings for IS installations. Should I expect a similar control drawing non-incendive devices, with entity parameters which I then evaluate vs. the power supply parameters, similar to what would be done for an IS circuit? (I thought yes)
- The submittal drawings I am reviewing are essentially control panel drawings, identifying certain circuits as NI. The drawings are stamped "CONTROLLED DRAWING". Am I correct to be requesting 'CONTROL DRAWINGS' for the proposed NI circuits, by the device mfrs? ( I think yes)

Thanks for the head check.

nhee2

Seems to me that Controlled Drawings are to Control Drawings as UL Compliant is to UL Listed. :)

Maybe. The supplied drawing is by the skidded equipment provider. They have a UL listing for control panels for hazardous areas which I verified at the UL website. This would imply they know what they are doing, probably more so than me. I assume the CONTROLLED drawing is just their terminology and not intended to replace the control drawing. But we'll see.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Controlled drawings are an administrative term. It has to do with whether the drawing is the latest version. Most places only the magnetic copy is controlled.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Sorry, yesterday was a bad one and every time I tried to respond I got interrupted. (Even for this short reply) The overall answer is in your second question:

- I am familiar with applying vendor control drawings for IS installations. Should I expect a similar control drawing non-incendive devices, with entity parameters which I then evaluate vs. the power supply parameters, similar to what would be done for an IS circuit? (I thought yes)
The answer is yes. The ISA has basically taken control of IS/NI systems in order to remove as many explosionproof field devices as possible and to permit easy integration with various Distributed Control schemes such as SCADA.

The only essential design difference is the level and type of failure modes permitted by NI versus IS. The actual manufacturer's documentation/labeling required is virtually the same.

nhee2

The PS I was looking at was a Phoenix Contact QUINT model. It is listed for use in Div 2 area. I looked at the UL listing, which says nothing about being non-incendive - sequencing through the various links at UL, I see that for Div 2, their 'guide info' says that the device could be non-incendive, or sealed, or non-sparking, or hermetically sealed, or Type Z purge. I assume that since the UL listing sheet does not identify non-incendive, that it is NOT non-incendive (incendive?). And I assume I should be able and will need to find a Power supply whose listing states it is non-incendive, per FM 3611 or other NRTL standard.

Is this correct?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The PS I was looking at was a Phoenix Contact QUINT model. It is listed for use in Div 2 area. I looked at the UL listing, which says nothing about being non-incendive - sequencing through the various links at UL, I see that for Div 2, their 'guide info' says that the device could be non-incendive, or sealed, or non-sparking, or hermetically sealed, or Type Z purge. I assume that since the UL listing sheet does not identify non-incendive, that it is NOT non-incendive (incendive?). And I assume I should be able and will need to find a Power supply whose listing states it is non-incendive, per FM 3611 or other NRTL standard.

Is this correct?

This is what the web site says about this power supply.

UL ANSI/ISA-12.12.01 Class I, Division 2, Groups A, B, C, D (Hazardous Location)

ANSI/ISA 12.12.01 is titled Nonincendive Electrical Equipment for Use in Class I and II, Division 2 and Class III, Divisions 1 and 2 Hazardous (Classified) Locations.

nhee2

Good catch. I was looking at the approvals tab and not the other tab. I see the ANSI reference now. Thanks.

bward

Controlled drawings are an administrative term. It has to do with whether the drawing is the latest version. Most places only the magnetic copy is controlled.

"Controlled Drawing" or "Controlled Document" is often seen with office paperwork/document management systems (such as Autodesk Vault). It has to do with who has the authority and ability to make changes to the document and release it for manufacturing. If I were to receive a "controlled drawing" and it had redline markup on it, I would contact the source of the drawing and ask if the redline is approved or not. It means much more to the people sitting behind the desks than it does to the people doing the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.