Non-metallic raceway for Fire Alarm circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

REM said:
Is there a code violation for using non-metallic raceways in Fire Alarm Circuits ?

It all depends. Where do you live? Many jurisdictions have special wiring rules for fire alarms systems.

Here, all FA wiring has to be in metal raceway and/or MC cable. If you live in or near Chicago you will be installing all of your wiring, including fire alarm systems, in metal raceways like EMT and RMC. Las Vegas requires a metal raceway system for fire alarm. Some states have different rules from town to town and city to city, like Massachusetts. Those are just a few examples but the bottom line is that you need to check your local codes.

There is no rule in the NEC or NFPA 72 forbidding it, however.

Edit to add more examples of local rules.

Last edited:

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
Question......

Question......

barbeer said:
Not that I am aware of, use a grounding conductor where applicable obviously.

Where would grounding conductors be applicable regarding 24 volt power limited circuits? Unless required by a local code, spec., or AHJ, this just drives the cost of the job up. Think about it......where it is permitted to free run fire alarm cable, do you ever see a ground conductor run with it?

MJW

MichaelGP3 said:
Where would grounding conductors be applicable regarding 24 volt power limited circuits? Unless required by a local code, spec., or AHJ, this just drives the cost of the job up. Think about it......where it is permitted to free run fire alarm cable, do you ever see a ground conductor run with it?

A year or two back I had a job where we had the FACP in one building and remote power suplies in five other buildings. The mapnet was acting really strange. The Simplex tech told me to run a ground from the FACP to some point on the RPS (I don't remember exactly where). I didnt believe her but ran it anyway because I was out of options. It all worked perfectly after the ground was installed.

REM

Another thing Peter, I understand that when we have to install a building Fire Alarm System's AC supply we have to tap it on the line side of the building main disconnecting means. How about the power for the Fire Suppression System control panel? Do I have to wire their power like in FAS or just tap to a dedicated branch in the same floor where the Suppression control panel is located?

peter d

REM said:
Another thing Peter, I understand that when we have to install a building Fire Alarm System's AC supply we have to tap it on the line side of the building main disconnecting means. How about the power for the Fire Suppression System control panel? Do I have to wire their power like in FAS or just tap to a dedicated branch in the same floor where the Suppression control panel is located?

Those must be local codes. I have never had to wire power to a FA panel like that - it's always come from a regular panel on a circuit breaker. All the areas I work in follow NFPA 72 with local amendments.

Truth be told I've never heard of anybody having to tap power from the line side of the service. There is no need to - the AC power is supervised and there is battery backup.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
In the San Francisco Bay area.......

In the San Francisco Bay area.......

REM said:

I've been doing fire alarm work since 1981. None of the systems I've been involved with installation-wise have had the power furnished this way. But a lot of systems I've done service work on (installed in the olden days, especially 120 volt Standard Electric Time systems found widely in schools) have been. In a building where the main power has been turned off, you still have the means to evacuate people.

Weaver Road

Maybe I'm reacting too quickly, but won't tapping the line side also create new code descrepancies relating to having energized ciruits while the main disconnecting means is open? I am not familiar with using this as a way to avoid losing the alarm during a disconnect. My understanding has always been that that's why we have dedicated emergency circuit only transfer switches and/or battery back-ups.

In agreement with what's been said above, especially on the fire alarm cable, the local code varies. I know it's time consuming, but researching it reduces the surprises and helps weed out the inspector who is free-lancing.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.