Non passive motion sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

toaduu

Thanks

It is funny NEC may soon require a white wire be available at each new switch location. And Manufacturers have recently discontinued providing white leads on the devices they make.

Ok, this switch box has a neutral and a ground. It seems like the NEC panel would prefer me to use the neutral rather than the ground. But the device has a green wire coming out of it. I guess code dictates that I must use the ground wire because I cannot connect the green lead to a neutral line outside of a main panel?

Did I get this right?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
toaduu said:
It is funny NEC may soon require a white wire be available at each new switch location. And Manufacturers have recently discontinued providing white leads on the devices they make.
Bear in mind, the ROP I pasted was from the last code cycle - it was rejected through the ROC, so it did not become a part of the 2008 NEC. However, you're right, it could be proposed again for the 2011 cycle and become code. I hope that in the mean time manufacturers just start making their devices with a neutral conductor if needed.

Ok, this switch box has a neutral and a ground. It seems like the NEC panel would prefer me to use the neutral rather than the ground. But the device has a green wire coming out of it. I guess code dictates that I must use the ground wire because I cannot connect the green lead to a neutral line outside of a main panel?

Did I get this right?
I'd say you got it right. We have no power over what the manufacturer provides us. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.