Non-sporting blood by the Mod Squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
By the way, do you have all of my censored posts saved in a file somewhere? I'd like to have them back. :grin:

I don't.

But it would not surprise me if they still exist on Mike's servers.

I should point out that I have never seen Larry post anything that I would consider extremely bad. It is usually just on the edge, funny, but not appropriate here on this forum.

Before we get all wishful for changing how the forum is run, stop and think about how successful it is right now and the highly knowledgeable people it attracts.

Look at the Moderators....exclude me...I am just a hack....look at the bios of the others.

For just one example where else can you go to get free advice on hazardous locations from the likes of Bob Alexander?

I suspect that we would attract fewer professionals if we ourselves act less professional.

If anyone and I mean this sincerely, has an issue with how I, or any of the Moderators run the forum feel more than free to drop Belynda Holt Pinto an email. She is Vice President of Operations and one of the things she takes care of is this forum.

tallguy

iwire said:
If anyone and I mean this sincerely, has an issue with how I, or any of the Moderators run the forum feel more than free to drop Belynda Holt Pinto an email. She is Vice President of Operations and one of the things she takes care of is this forum.

I doubt anyone does have an issue... you guys do a great job, and obviously devote a great deal of time to this... at 4am for Pete's sake!

iwire

Staff member
tallguy said:
at 4am for Pete's sake!

I was laughing a little while ago.

I looked who was on-line at 3 AM, a lot of the regulars and I know a bunch of them are east coasters....

We are all very strange people....we should be sleeping.:grin:

tallguy

iwire said:
I was laughing a little while ago.

I looked who was on-line at 3 AM, a lot of the regulars and I know a bunch of them are east coasters....

We are all very strange people....we should be sleeping.:grin:

You could say we are...... ahem.... "wired"?

emahler

15 pages on opening and closing threads....but not one post on how much to charge to open and close a thread...what gives? :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Holy schnikies, did I miss a humdinger here! I actually read through this, and man my eyes are tired! :D

LarryFine said:
At the risk of this post being deleted, I want to take this opportunity say that, in my opinion, it's unfair (I know, this is a private forum, so there is no guarantee, or even suggestion, of fairness) that the moderators can re-open closed threads to add last-minute witticisms, while we peons have to sit on our thumbs (and any other fingers with which we type) and let the urge to add a comment pass with total disappointment.

Larry, I remember quite a few occasions in the past where I've been typing a response to a thread to discover that right before I'd hit the "submit reply" button, the thread had been locked and a moderator had gotten the last word. I've been there, and it has annoyed me in the past. Kinda like hitting every light red on the way to work, that kind of annoying.

One thing I think isn't very clear about how the software works for a moderator is, we don't have to unlock and lock threads to post in them. We just click on the "Closed" button where the "post reply" button is on an open thread, and it behaves as though the thread is open even though it's not.

With the few mentions I'd seen of "opening and closing" it made it sound like it took pains to post in a closed thread - I wouldn't work that hard for a little laugh. :)

LarryFine said:
Now, please understand that I'm not complaining that they can and sometimes do so, just that the rest of us cannot do so when the chance is there. Some things just get left hanging when it would be so much fun to throw in that one last comment.

Larry, I agree with Bob that you are probably the most censored member, and I put this offer to you and only you, for holding that position and keeping your humor (as best you can) about it: From now on, if a thread is closed, and you want the last word, I will make it happen. If you open a new thread with the last response, as long as it is dated after the last post of a closed thread, when your post and the closed thread are merged, chronologically you will have the last word.

That is my personal offer to you, and I mean it. :)

LarryFine said:
Perhaps it would be possible to add a no-holds-barred, enter-at-one's-own-risk, uncensored, parental-guidance-suggested forum where we can make reference to closed threads, have off-topic discudssions, post links to pics and videos, tell slightly-off-color jokes, etc.

Okay, on second thought, that's pressing it a bit too far, I admit.
Anyone can always start a thread regarding a closed one, it's happened successfully quite a few times in the past.

LarryFine said:
Still, I wonder if it could be considered an abuse of power for a moderator to re-open a closed thread; otherwise, it's not really closed, it's just restricted to the "elite" members of the Mod Squad to open and close at will.

Note: Please don't take this post too seriously, guys. :)
Your point is well taken, and I will behave myself from now on. All those times where the thread was closed when I had the perfect zinger led me to do what I just did, and it was unfair of me. :)

Bob Peterson said:
Does it seem to anyone else that there is a lot more moderation going on lately?
I do what I can to explain why I touched something, usually it's to fix quotes or delete duplicate posts/threads. I don't feel as though I edit too much "editorially" as far as profane language and such, and when I do I try make it fairly clear what I editted, to avoid people feeling too manhandled.

I echo what Bob said about the calibre of people who come here, and what keeps them here. You want to see the other side of the spectrum, cruise over to the JLC Electric Shop forum, it's unmoderated and unholy as hell. Pretty much, if any thread has potential of going somewhere, someone comes along to pick a fight and it's over with. Very little of technical substance has a chance of going anywhere.

This thread went unmoderated, and nobody fought, nobody took cheap shots at anyone else, nothing over the top really happened - in my mind, it's because the tone of this forum is set and populated by good people.

Anyway, if anyone feels I've crossed a line in something I've done (as in, last week or something I do next week), drop me a PM. I personally can't do better without feedback.

SmithBuilt

I will have to agree this forum is run very well.

I' on other forums that are supposed to be professional. They allow too much worthless information to be posted. Theres no way serious professionals will post.

I would like to offer a couple of suggestions:

-if you have a topic that is slightly off topic begin it with OT and then the title of the topic (all in the title line)

-state the topic of the post clearly and specific. Then a person can decide if it is a thread he would like to look at or not. The moderators will have to enforce this and soon all the regulars will know to do it.

great job otherwise
Tim

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
petersonra said:
Does it seem to anyone else that there is a lot more moderation going on lately?
It's probably just your monitor.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Good news everybody, I'm going to be out for awhile, so the thread will stay open past 12:00.:grin:

Roger

stickboy1375

Party Time​

Party-balloons.jpg

celtic

This is pathetic.....the thread will neither be the #1 replied too, nor the #1 viewed.
Maybe we should go back to talking about electricity ?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Follow-up to the Mod Squad thread - hopefully to be inserted there

Follow-up to the Mod Squad thread - hopefully to be inserted there

georgestolz said:
From now on, if a thread is closed, and you want the last word, I will make it happen. If you open a new thread with the last response, as long as it is dated after the last post of a closed thread, when your post and the closed thread are merged, chronologically you will have the last word.

That is my personal offer to you, and I mean it.

Thank you, George, you are a genuine gentleman, and I shall endeavor to not abuse the priveledge. I hope that, while there was a touch of real annoyance in my OP, that my intended tongue-in-cheek undertone came through, and I do appreciate the opportunity to speak from the heart and be heard.

I also appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread, as well as the restraint from flying completely off the handle and proving to the Mod Squad and the general population that we're a complete bunch of animals.

We had the chance to show the world (or our little piece of it, anyway) that we can behave ourselves, and I believe we proved that we are ladies and gentlemen, we can moderate ourselves, and we know how to have fun like adults.

celtic said:
This is pathetic.....the thread will neither be the #1 replied too, nor the #1 viewed.
Maybe we should go back to talking about electricity ?

Don't feel bad; we had fun and a chance to breathe and relax for a day. This is by far the best forum on the WWW, and I expect to be a life-long member, and with any luck and a bit of care, along with what we all share here, that will be a long membership indeed!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
LarryFine said:
I want to take this opportunity say that, in my opinion, it's unfair . . . that the moderators can re-open closed threads to add last-minute witticisms, while we peons have to sit on our thumbs (and any other fingers with which we type) and let the urge to add a comment pass with total disappointment.
You mean like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.