Normal and UPS lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Davies

Occupation
electrical design supervisor
Newbie here, I'm looking at providing lighting and receptacles to a building in an industrial location. I will have interior lighting, exterior lighting and receptacles.
Now one of the lights in the building is required to be supplied from our UPS. The other loads will be supplied via our lighting panel.
My question is, can I run the UPS powered light and the other loads in the same multi-conductor cable. I don't think I can, but I can't find the rules(s) in the code.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Newbie here, I'm looking at providing lighting and receptacles to a building in an industrial location. I will have interior lighting, exterior lighting and receptacles.
Now one of the lights in the building is required to be supplied from our UPS. The other loads will be supplied via our lighting panel.
My question is, can I run the UPS powered light and the other loads in the same multi-conductor cable. I don't think I can, but I can't find the rules(s) in the code.
Take a look at 700.10(B).

ron

Tim, Is the UPS considered an emergency power source?

Here in the US, the NEC wouldn't consider a "regular" UPS with short battery time to be acceptable for emergency lighting, so it would just be regular wiring.

Tim Davies

Occupation
electrical design supervisor
Tim, Is the UPS considered an emergency power source?

Here in the US, the NEC wouldn't consider a "regular" UPS with short battery time to be acceptable for emergency lighting, so it would just be regular wiring.
no, not emergency power just a separate power source. Once it's deemed emergency it opens a whole new can of worms.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
no, not emergency power just a separate power source. Once it's deemed emergency it opens a whole new can of worms.
I don't know what the rule in Canada is about this kind of stuff. If it's not a legally required emergency power circuit I don't see why you can't run it in the same conduit. but if it's not a legally required system why would you bother to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.