North Carolina Electrical Limited Exam

Occupation
Lab Coordinator
Hello all and thank you in advance but I'm freaking out. I'm solid in NEC code and I have the hours and I'm ready to sit for my test. I've downloaded the PSI manual and something has me uneasy four parts.

NC Electrical Contractors Licensing Law: General Statutes 87-4 and Title 21, Chapter 18b

National Fire Alarm Code (NFPA 72): 2013 Edition

NASCLA Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management: North Carolina Electrical Edition

What do I need to know about this here. I'm shook right now, I just don't know what to study in the fire code, I don't know what to study in the NASCLA what should I be looking for, what should I be looking for in the General Statutes.

This really is messing with me. I can't find any information about this and I'm about to post this topic on Quora, Reddit and Mike Holt forum until I can have a clear understanding of what should I be learning.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would have a good understanding of the different corporations like LLC, C corp, etc.
Also, know the difference between overhead and materials or tools. Is a ladder overhead or tools? etc

The business guide part is pretty obvious. I know someone who took the test recently and got 10 out of ten in that section because it was almost too obvious.

Overhead costs are those that are not directly related to the production of goods or services, but are necessary for the operation of a business. Examples of overhead costs include rent, utilities, insurance, legal fees, office supplies, advertising, payroll, and accounting fees.

I don't know about the alarm stuff

NC Electrical Contractors Licensing Law:

I would just read thru this
https://www.ncbeec.org/laws-rules/gs-87-4/
and this
https://www.ncbeec.org/title-21-ncac-18b/
which are on their website

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
There's this also

What to Expect
All exams are computer based. You will receive your examination score the same day.
Bring 2 forms of ID to the Exam Center; 1 must be a VALID government issued with a photograph (valid drivers license).
Bring your books. Calculators and all other necessities will be provided at the site.
The exam is “open book”; you’re allowed to refer to any part of your NEC and the NFPA books during your exam.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
There's this also
Wow. You can bring the books in now??
Can they be tabbed also?
When I took mine you had to use their book, their pencil, paper, etc..

Know your calculations would be my advice.
Box fill and service calcs. Remember dryers

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Wow. You can bring the books in now??
Can they be tabbed also?
When I took mine you had to use their book, their pencil, paper, etc..
When Dennis and I took ours it was they same. Unfortunately since there are very few coming to replace us old timers they have relaxed the requirements and the exam itself.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
When Dennis and I took ours it was they same. Unfortunately since there are very few coming to replace us old timers they have relaxed the requirements and the exam itself.
I think we had the business codes but not fire alarm as near as I can remember