Not April Fools

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I think the wiring is very bad and that's it's obvious they didn't know what they were doing. But?

What happens if you overload one of those #12 conductors? Not much. First the insulation would melt and smoke and then with more heat the conductor would burn into.

Where is the fuel to start a fire? I have removed main breakers where the lugs were glowing red hot and still no fire because there was no fuel in the area.

12 THHN is rated 30 amps because of insulation limitations, bare conductor in free air can probably carry 100 amps especially a short length like pictured here. It obviously was never loaded too much for too long though or else insulation would have been compromised.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
12 THHN is rated 30 amps because of insulation limitations, bare conductor in free air can probably carry 100 amps especially a short length like pictured here. It obviously was never loaded too much for too long though or else insulation would have been compromised.

iirc, #12 bare copper will fuse at about 225 amps... something
that stuck from school, a long time ago.....

kwired

Electron manager
I have a short piece of 12AWG on my dash, used in place of a heater, that I pulled out of a motor starter of 30HP motor. I lasted for I don't know how many years. We got called because the motor need bearings.
What voltage? Withstanding 30 hp 208 volts would be more impressive then 30 hp 480 volts. 480 volts probably doesn't even melt 60C insulation unless motor is overloaded.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
My wife is the same as yours and I'm the same as you.
I am sitting at the computer in my office and there are 3 radios on in different rooms. At the moment they are tuned to the same frequency.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am sitting at the computer in my office and there are 3 radios on in different rooms. At the moment they are tuned to the same frequency.
My kind of guy.

In the morning I'll have two radios on, one in the living room, one in the bed tuned to different stations; news on one, other bob and tom. That way I can bounce back and forth between commercials, keep up with events while having some fun too, just by moving around during my morning routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.