now a Free Agent

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
Not all electrical contractors are created equal and although I'm thankful to the company I was working for, they are not a good fit for someone like me.

It's a company that would hire anyone (literally anyone), and the employee turnover rate was very high But they weren't interested in teaching anything, they just wanted permanent helpers that worked fast doing the most basic tasks and didn't ask any questions. I did get some experience and left on good terms without burning bridges.
I suppose I may have rubbed some leads the wrong way because I knew more than most of them and they've been doing this for many years.
The only person who had any kind of license or certification was the owner. In the year I worked there, we only had one 5 minute meeting talking about where GFIs are required.
Except for the hands on experience that you can only learn by actually doing something, the majority of my knowledge came from the Mike Holt course and this forum.
What I would love is to find an electrical contractor who actually wants to share their knowledge and develop their employees. That would be more important to me than a big paycheck.

I think I'll take some time off and dedicate more time to studying the code. I should be able to survive off my army retirement for a little while before I need to go back to work.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When I had my business which was very small, I was on the job every day with the workers. Initially, it was just me but then I hired a worker. I guess I am a control freak as I hated things done poorly and I was always there to make sure things were done my way.
What I am saying is you probably won't get on-the-job training unless you work for a company that wants to teach their employees. I had a friend who said that you don't want them to learn too much because then they would leave. True but my goal was to train them and hope they can better themself.

I will say this, there aren't many who will be so good as to want to train you. Most contractors aren't even on the job. Good luck

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
Looks like you may have some electronics background. Maybe move on to security systems. I did in my business years ago. Still do light electrical work but my passion is burglar alarm systems, cameras and smart home. Tons of online training for free from the various system manufacturers. If you get interested, I can point you to some resources.