Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I believe it is accurate that every joint in which I was involved that leaked was incorrect o-ring selection.
You should be in my world where an incorrect o-ring is considered better than a good old one, because "they should always be replaced with new". And new ones are installed with copious amounts of silicone seal.

And if you don't have the correct size split lockwashers, you just use the next larger size

I could go on and on

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Not a single bolt in this entire machine do they list dry.
And what part of this is an electrical connection listed by UL?
How does this relate to a 3/16" aluminum screw with a combination head being threaded into an aluminum body where the manufacturer instructions say no lubricant?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
I'll throw some more fun into the mix

chrome 6.jpg
How do plating materials such as Chromium 6 and other platings effect clamping force for a given torque?

chrome 6e.jpg

And how does this blonde woman relate to the chrome 6 plating?

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
Its threads in general which there are millions of in this equipment. This is general,,,, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before we even start on very specifics. Its in 101.
Now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, having said that,,, I need patience and will learn it here and fully realize I am dealing with guys way smarter than I am, that is not self depreciating but the truth or accurate assesment as they say. I didnt have someone rapping me on the head about electrical grounding, that took a while for it to become an instinctual plan view as I see it.
This particular issue have had quite a use/interest etc in for decades, studied some but it was a while back and computers make it better but they some really s,mart fellers and they say,,, if its squeaking and chattering when its simply turning and not under any load its not going to improve when loaded and of course the faster the bigger the problem.
This took a while to grasp and apply, I have since had guys stop and say,,, you made me a believer, we never thought a lot about it in 25 yrs in prototype work but would have saved a lot of greif,,, just spray it a little so it dont stick.
As often is the "moments" with this spaced out and then some compressed under certain circumstances and some of them really humble, guy never bought nuthin but some WD if we could find it but in the app it was really effective and hyper intensified the difference.
Even common small threads, so many are so much smoother for finger operation, we live by the air gun and simple combination wrench and our stuff has been serviced, loosen it turn off with fingers, spin it back on, throwing many lock washers {but fir special circumstances) away and 1/2 to 3/4 turn to tight, brutal service, can disassemble it again. My dozer hasnt seen dozens of seized bolts. Had a bunch fall out from contractor repairs where wrong grade dirty by hand assembly failed.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
It will take a while to get this. Joe, I forget the figures, I believe plated is pretty good but some spray helps smooth those too.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
This story has an electrical connection. Woke up one morning to a flat tire, got the lug wrench that came with the vehicle. The lug nuts would not budge, so I got my 1' socket set, still wouldn't budge. Then I got the bright idea to slip the handle of my 1" emt benders over the socket handle - it worked. Do those impact wrenches put too much torque on the wheel studs ? I did use WD-40 before putting nuts back on.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The lug nuts would not budge, so I got my 1' socket set, still wouldn't budge.
I read that L-shaped lug wrenches work better by lifting the handle instead of pressing down.

Do those impact wrenches put too much torque on the wheel studs ?
They're supposed to use torque-limiting extensions, each vehicle specifying a certain torque.

s-l640.jpg

Last edited:

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
This story has an electrical connection. Woke up one morning to a flat tire, got the lug wrench that came with the vehicle. The lug nuts would not budge, so I got my 1' socket set, still wouldn't budge. Then I got the bright idea to slip the handle of my 1" emt benders over the socket handle - it worked. Do those impact wrenches put too much torque on the wheel studs ? I did use WD-40 before putting nuts back on.
I always re-torque the wifes tires after a tire change.. And there is a breaker bar in all our cars and trucks. I taught her how to fix a flat but just like you, i have to pull out a tommy bar or pipe to break the kids "precise torque" job... On my work truck or our nice car, i just bring them the rims as of late.. Especially after they lubed and stripped studs... Gid bless those kids..

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... IMO, that's the only 100% method. ...
Indicating washers are an effective method of assuring that there's enough clamping force, quite independent of the condition of the threads or the applied torque.

... The hydraulics experience leads me to laugh (sadly) at the pressures undersea where submersible vehicles work ...
There is a big difference between internal pressure and external pressure.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
On the other end of the scale I walked onto a job site and watched two large guys bouncing on the end of a pipe slipped over one of the largest breaker bars I'd seen. Customers crew informed me this was always coming loose and breaking. IDR now if I talked to them or a supervisor about torque and sequence. No more breakage after they did the research.

eta: talked might have been more like 'WT_ are you doing?!!'

Joethemechanic

Occupation
I was working for a crane company that hosted Lampson when they came with one of these Transi-Lifts to do a lift in the BP refinery

lampson.jpg Damn thing lifted some kind of cyclone unit that weighed 300 tons and walked with it.

Of course it got shipped to the refinery in lots of pieces. I think I worked for about a month setting down the crane mats for it.

But anyway they were using hydraulic wrenches like this one, and some bigger

55PR07_AS01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.