Obtaining existing fire alarm plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
There is this building in NYC I'm working in and we're doing some changes to the existing fire alarm system such as adding new devices, etc. This will require existing fire alarm plans because FDNY wants everything shown as per field conditions with new devices.

This existing fire alarm system was filed to FDNY and DOB but I don't have these existing plans. These existing plans are there somewhere at FDNY or DOB, how do I obtain these existing fire alarm plans? Do I just ask FDNY or DOB? The owners of the building does not have the plans so what are my options?

FDNY requires a riser diagram of all fire alarm devices connected into the fire alarm system. If I cannot obtain the plans, would I have to trace all the fire alarm devices and show exactly which zones it's connected to?

I would not be able to trace anything since the conduits are concealed and it would be extremely difficult to do.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
There is this building in NYC I'm working in and we're doing some changes to the existing fire alarm system such as adding new devices, etc. This will require existing fire alarm plans because FDNY wants everything shown as per field conditions with new devices.

This existing fire alarm system was filed to FDNY and DOB but I don't have these existing plans. These existing plans are there somewhere at FDNY or DOB, how do I obtain these existing fire alarm plans? Do I just ask FDNY or DOB? The owners of the building does not have the plans so what are my options?

FDNY requires a riser diagram of all fire alarm devices connected into the fire alarm system. If I cannot obtain the plans, would I have to trace all the fire alarm devices and show exactly which zones it's connected to?

I would not be able to trace anything since the conduits are concealed and it would be extremely difficult to do.
DOB should be able to help. The as-builts should have been filed with them. FDNY may or may not have them, but DOB is your go-to. Call the general number and start asking.

As for tracing, someone here once has a signature line to the effect "I can build anything for you if you draw a picture on the back of a large enough check."

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
DOB should be able to help. The as-builts should have been filed with them. FDNY may or may not have them, but DOB is your go-to. Call the general number and start asking.

As for tracing, someone here once has a signature line to the effect "I can build anything for you if you draw a picture on the back of a large enough check."
Thanks! I will definitely call DOB, I hope it works! Just posted here because I wanted to know every option there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.