Occupancy sensor for long skinny hallways

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi all,
I've been asked to provide pricing to install occupancy sensors (O.S.) for the hallway lighting in a commercial building. The hallways are long and skinny, about 8' high ceiling, and 5' wide. It's got a dropped T-bar grid, with standard troffers every third tile. The length of each hallway varies, but they are quite long.

There are office entry doors all along the hallway, so there would need to be an O.S. near each door, as well as at each end of the hallway.

I was thinking that I would install a ceiling-mount O.S. about every 30-40', and each O.S. would control 2-3 lights. Currently, the lights are all on 24/7.

Does anyone have any advise as to how to logically do this job?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

GerryB

I have done a lot of occupancy fixtures, Home Depot style for a customer who owns lots of multifamily dwellings. They work out ok. I did some offices with the 360 ceiling mount and had a few callbacks. Customer expects too much. But thinking of your situation maybe you could talk the customer into leaving some lights on 24/7 to pick up the slack untill a person gets to an area where the sensor will pick up. Just a thought.

G._S._Ohm

a ceiling-mount O.S. about every 30-40'
If the OC pickup range is 30-40' then this will work half the time, by definition.

For 90% certainty you'd want them closer. The maker may be able to help with this: talk to a factory engineer and avoid marketing people.

"Motion can be detected by: sound (acoustic sensors), opacity (optical and infrared sensors and video image processors), geomagnetism (magnetic sensors, magnetometers), reflection of transmitted energy (infrared laser radar, ultrasonic sensors, and microwave radar sensors), electromagnetic induction (inductive-loop detectors), and vibration (triboelectric, seismic, and inertia-switch sensors). Acoustic sensors are based on: electret effect, inductive coupling, capacitive coupling, triboelectric effect, piezoelectric effect, and fiber optic transmission. Radar intrusion sensors have the lowest rate of false alarms."

What kind you want? False alarms (false positives) don't seem particularly important in this case.

Last edited:

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
False triggers for the lights won't be a big deal. I like the dual technology for obvious reasons.

I was just wondering if anyone would recommend a certain model, and spacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.