OCPD ‘s in Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
When did OCPD’s become illegal in a residential bathroom? I have a home inspection report for an older home where that issue was raised.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
So who is responsible if the panel was originally not in a bathroom but later someone added a bathroom to include the space the panel was in? Who moves, the bath or the panel?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
So who is responsible if the panel was originally not in a bathroom but later someone added a bathroom to include the space the panel was in? Who moves, the bath or the panel?
We’ll, the house was built in the mid eighties. There is no history available. I can’t worry about when and if the house was modified.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
They will say it's electrical issue. Never seen a job that the plumbers says I'll just move the bathroom over there.
Yeah, but if that was the original location of the bathroom, it wasn’t an issue when the place was built in the eighties. The NEC is not retroactive.

JohnE

Goes back to at least 1987. My father had an issue where an inspector told him he can't put a GFCI receptacle in a bathroom as it was an ocpd. This was around '87, so it could go back further. After a lot of back and forth the inspector came around.

kwired

Electron manager
That inspector did not know what he was saying a gfci is not a ocpd
I will second that.

Some OCPD's also have GFCI protection integrated into them, but a GFCI receptacle does not respond to overcurrent conditions other than ones that are also a ground fault condition.

JohnE

That inspector did not know what he was saying a gfci is not a ocpd
Exactly, which is why I said he finally came around. It took a call to a well known MECA representative to help convince him. (MA Electrical Contractor's Association). It was so basic, but even handbook citations wouldn't convince him. But the point was that this was in mid to late 80's, so the code dates back at least to '87

Status
Not open for further replies.